New to java (and programming in general)

• (2 Pages)
  • +

17 Replies - 443 Views - Last Post: 01 December 2012 - 04:47 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: New to java (and programming in general)

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:59 PM

Hey guys - thanks so much for your replies but honestly I'm completely undecided on the IDE front given your mixed responses. I know how to compile and run a program using notepad and I only use Netbeans as a piece of software that lets me group together all my little bits of code (chapter by chapter as I follow the book) and lets me quickly test my program without compiling etc.

Am I really missing out on a lot by doing that rather than compiling and running through cmd? I have a grasp of what happens, source code is compiled into machine code, which is executed by the java virtual machine. I don't use any advanced netbeans features, but I do admit I do use it for hints about where I go wrong with my syntax.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#17 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:04 PM

We have a good discussion going on IDEs vs. Text Editors for beginners. There are lots of good points you may find helpful. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#18 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:47 PM

Understanding syntax, reading code and seeing through it to what it does, is something you have to practice. Finding syntax errors by yourself is precisely the way you practice this. So yes, you're losing that, and it's likely that you're misleading yourself as to your progress.

It's an important part of your training, and you won't get it any other way than by doing it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +