9 Replies - 14444 Views - Last Post: 11 December 2012 - 04:10 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

RUBY on Rails, PHP, or ASP.NET MVC 4

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:46 AM

Hi,

I want to become a Web Developer and I want to pick beteween RUBY on Rails, PHP, or ASP.NET MVC 4. I hear that Ruby on Rails is better but the job market in the East coast (NYC, NJ, CT) is low for Ruby on Rails. PHP demand is hight but the salary is low. ASP.NET MVC demand is ok but not sure is its better than Ruby on Rails.

Thanks
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: RUBY on Rails, PHP, or ASP.NET MVC 4

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: RUBY on Rails, PHP, or ASP.NET MVC 4

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:04 AM

I would say go both.. all.. any of them. If you are a full on web dev you'll more than likely come in contact with all of those languages. If the demand is high for PHP go there first.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:30 AM

I received job email last week for ruby on rails developer starting at 80k here in my town....would be sweet if i knew that
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Professional Lurker
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:57 AM

I'm going to agree with modi123_1. There's no reason to limit yourself to one web language, at least not in the long run. Do you know any programming languages now? If you already know C# or Java then you would probably be able to pick up ASP.NET MVC a littler quicker than the others, at least as far as the server-side coding goes. If you already know Ruby then go with Ruby on Rails. If you are starting from ground zero on any of the languages you mentioned, then just pick one and go with it.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:03 PM

Don't just look at the salary - Look at the wider picture here - do you want to learn only one language? Why not go for a few - Having a fall back programming language will not do you any harm - I think most developers would say the more programming language experience you have the better it is.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#6 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:26 AM

I believe that ASP.NET MVC will give you the most room to grow, because once you learn C# (which will be necessary) that will open the door for you to make WPF, WCF, Windows 8 style, and other applications all in the same framework and same language.

All the others are good choices as well, I'm biased because I'm a .NET developer.

Don't play the numbers game. Pick one and go.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:57 PM

I've worked with all three.

MVC - Fantastic tooling.
Rails - Fantastic language. Ruby is just...amazing.
CakePHP - I assume you're going to use a PHP framework, use CakePHP. The benefit of PHP is that it runs everywhere and anywhere.

Personally, I've ditched ASP.Net MVC3 after two and a half years of using it for Rails because it just made me happier. Still learning Rails but it comes along nicely. Read this free ebook if you want to learn how to use Rails in a REAL context. No crappy, 'blog demo' but actual real world work process using Git, Heroku and RSpec.

http://ruby.railstut...s-tutorial-book
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:01 PM

Thanks everyone for taking your time to answer my question. I going to start first with Ruby/Ruby on Rails then I will check asp.net mvc in a later time.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:42 PM

View Postgreenlinux, on 06 December 2012 - 01:01 PM, said:

Thanks everyone for taking your time to answer my question. I going to start first with Ruby/Ruby on Rails then I will check asp.net mvc in a later time.

Well after playing a little bit with MonoTouch I am going to go with what Curtis recommended " I believe that ASP.NET MVC will give you the most room to grow, because once you learn C# (which will be necessary) that will open the door for you to make WPF, WCF, Windows 8 style, and other applications all in the same framework and same language.". And since I resided in USA close to NYC area, the market, salary, and the room to grow for C#/.Net is bigger than Ruby.

Thanks everyone for helping me pick..... I will TRY Ruby after C#..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:10 PM

I find it a tinge ironic how they say room to grow whenever Ruby is effectively global use, and PHP is global on the web. Limiting yourself to one platform does not sound like keeping options out mate.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1