2 Replies - 727 Views - Last Post: 30 November 2012 - 11:25 AM

Poll: pagination vs scrolling div (0 member(s) have cast votes)

what would you choose?

1. pagination (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. scrolling div (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

• Cheese and Sprinkles
  • member icon

• View blog

pagination vs scrolling div

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:06 AM

I am working on a search area of my music site and I was wondering what you all thought was better for looks and performance.

The main reason I have been using scrolling divs is because my background img is short and if I scroll the window it looks bad.

Just looking for some opinions of what you all think and why so I can make an informed decision.

Thanks everyone.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: pagination vs scrolling div

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: pagination vs scrolling div

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:19 AM

If you use the background-attachment: fixed CSS property you can have the body background stay where it is even when the page scrolls.

Now, if you are saying scrolling divs as in you have a div with a separate scroll bar than the page, I would suggest a couple of things: First use a JS-based scrollbar to make it look better (this will take more coding, but it will allow you to style the scrollbar in all browsers and have it look better than the standard one). Or second, use pagination (client or server) to reduce the amount of content visible in the div and remove the need for the scrolling.

Note that people don't like complicated systems, so if you come up with something that you don't think is intuitive or through testing find that people have difficulty using it is likely better to just go with the standard scrollbar. While not necessarily the prettiest thing in the world, it works and everyone is used to it.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Cheese and Sprinkles
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: pagination vs scrolling div

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:25 AM

I had never seen this fixed background example before that solves a lot of my troubles in other parts of the site. Thank you
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1