How did you start in the software development industry?

• (2 Pages)
  • +

27 Replies - 3150 Views - Last Post: 11 December 2012 - 08:24 AM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Re: How did you start in the software development industry?

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:19 AM

Clothes are banned at my office. That includes uniforms of any type, even painted on ones.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:08 AM

Tandy 1000HX, GW-Basic and some really crappy textual adventure games that I was very proud of. Then came C, and GW-Basic drowned in it until it was no longer a memory. The tide then rose on C++, washing C# into port, and there I've been stuck on that crowded island ever since.

Along the way I munched on BasicA, Quick Basic, VB and VB.NET, though I didn't much care for the after taste. My first resume worthy experience was a volunteer position with an online MUD as their Head Coder. When I got tired of coding heads, I took my head to a company and told them I could program, and they stuck me with MS Office and its VB backend. I pulled that thorn out and am now working for another company building web sites in ASP using C#. On my spare time I build and play video games, though mostly play.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#18 depricated  Icon User is online

• RISC Architecture is going to change everything.

• View blog

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:27 PM

Which MUD? I used to love MUDs.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:32 PM

<3 MUDs <3

Tried to look up the names of some of the old MUDs I frequented, but my work filter has flagged them for containing "game playing elements"... yet I could spend all day on tending an imaginary farm on Facebook without interruption. Please to be 'splaining to me these things, IT Department?!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:35 PM

The only name I remember was 'moongate'... god knows why the alcohol hasn't eroded that synapse, but what evs.

https://en.wikipedia.../Materia_Magica
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:37 PM

I used to spend excessive amounts of time on an old talker... Monkey Chat, I believe it was called (that wasn't the original name... can't recall - or research - the original name at the moment). But the actual RPG games themselves, I can't look up names until I get home tonight.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:40 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:41 PM

I suddenly have an urge to create a Zombie MUD. :o Probably been done alot, but I DON'T CARE!

As for how I got into it, well, I went into Computer Science in College and never did an internship due to working full-time to pay for my schooling. Not a single loan that I need to pay back though. :D But anyways, I graduated this last spring, freaked out, didn't bother applying anywhere due to my summer trip to Greece, get back from Greece, freak out again.

I applied to Mizzou, did two interviews with them but never worked with Coldfusion and one of the three of us they interviewed has so they got it. Wasn't too distraught over it, only place I had ever applied to in my field. Then my friend emails me saying there's a dev job open where he works, I am super happy, I apply, and I get the job after an interview that went splendid. Been here for two months.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#24 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:47 PM

Yes yes, college & career, nice nice. When are you installing Linux?!
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:46 AM

WOW!
Thanks to everyone for sharing the experiences you've had.
:clap:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:43 AM

View Postdepricated, on 05 December 2012 - 03:27 PM, said:

Which MUD? I used to love MUDs.

The mud was called Darkon. It had maybe 10 staff at it's peak and probably maxed at that number of active players at any given time. Wasn't much, but hey it went on my resume and helped to land that first job.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:38 PM

Well, I started with web development in the 8th grade. By the end of the 9th grade I had learned Javascript, HTML, CSS, PHP, and MySQL (along with playing a little in C). At that point I started doing some volunteer jobs (making sites for teachers, etc.) and continued learning. By freshman year of college I knew Javascript, PHP, HTML, CSS, MySQL, C/C++, Java, Python, XML, and ActionScript 2.0. With this knowledge I was able to impress one of my professors enough that he introduced me to one of the school administrators in the Applied Math department who was looking for a web developer. I did that job for 1.5 years and then was laid off (they claimed they wanted to hire a new student that I could "manage", but didn't have the funds for both of us to work that semester - though one of my ex-co-workers told said that he was told I asked for the semester off due to course load (not the case) ). Anyways, at that point my interests had changed from web development (which the vast number of libraries and WYSIWYG editors out there has declined to the point where you have people undervaluing actual development) to low-level (C/C++) systems engineering. I found an internship and have been working there for the last 8 months (since May), and will be starting full time in June. I also now know ActionScript 3.0, sqlite, bash, and Perl (at least well enough to make some applications in it).

The point I am hoping to get across here is to always move forward. If you feel that you are stagnating, you need to change something. Be that your job, or what you spend your free time on, is up to you. But as long as you are moving towards a goal you should be able to enjoy your time.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:24 AM

View PostBetaWar, on 10 December 2012 - 02:38 PM, said:

But as long as you are moving towards a goal you should be able to enjoy your time.

Very good point, but unlike you and I a lot of programmers don't really have a goal, they just work to do the job and don't bother trying to improve on their skills then wonder why they're standing in an unemployment line for several months when I have absolutely no problems finding a new job even when the economy and job market are at their lowest. You have to continually improve upon your skills and take every available opportunity to demonstrate those skills so that you can put them on your resume.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +