3 Replies - 713 Views - Last Post: 01 December 2012 - 01:27 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

What is the best way to get into Java game programming?

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:12 AM

Hey guys, I want to learn Java game programming. I was wondering, what is the best way to learn Java game programming. I DON'T plan on doing this overnight, but I do plan on devoting much of my time to it. Money isn't an object, either. I am somewhat of a newbie to Java, and I know a little. Should I learn it in and out before I learn to make games? Or should I learn just enough to make games? I have tried for quite a while searching for answers, but unfortunately, none have came up. I am very sorry if this question is in the wrong forum/area.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What is the best way to get into Java game programming?

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What is the best way to get into Java game programming?

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:15 AM

Focus on learning the language, and make games that challenge your skills. Just be careful about not biting off too much. As you proceed, try and make a guessing game or rock-paper-scissors. Once you have those skills down and have had some GUI experience, Pong is a fairly simple game to make. Then maybe move onto Pacman or Tetris. If you try and make something like the next big MMORPG, you are setting yourself up for failure. Make sure to strengthen your programming abilities, as well as your abilities to write clean OO code.

For a path to learn Java, check out my thread Getting Better at Programming Java.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:39 PM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 01 December 2012 - 10:15 AM, said:

Focus on learning the language, and make games that challenge your skills. Just be careful about not biting off too much. As you proceed, try and make a guessing game or rock-paper-scissors. Once you have those skills down and have had some GUI experience, Pong is a fairly simple game to make. Then maybe move onto Pacman or Tetris. If you try and make something like the next big MMORPG, you are setting yourself up for failure. Make sure to strengthen your programming abilities, as well as your abilities to write clean OO code.

For a path to learn Java, check out my thread Getting Better at Programming Java.

Ok, thank you for the help. I'm currently deepening my skills in java and soon I will hopefully have a nice background developed.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:27 PM

I have to agree with the nerd. It's important to learn the basics of the language the old boring way, before jumping into game programming. Programming is hard, and game programming is probably the hardest programming task to undertake. Go into it expecting to write the next big MMO and you're going to fail and become discouraged, quickly. Pick up a book, or make your way through an online tutorial, then attempt to do something in text. Go on from there.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1