6 Replies - 573 Views - Last Post: 04 December 2012 - 06:08 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Game development problems with Windows 8

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:30 PM

Hello,
First Post - So please don't be hard on me.
I recently bought a book ( Beginning DirectX 11 Programming ) and I have been trying it out now. I already know XNA and using it but it has been "outdated" by MS so I stopped using it (Windows 8 doesn't support XNA). I used both VS 2012 for Windows 8 and VC++ 2010. VS2012 doesn't allow me to create the kind of program I want - an EXE file, not a Windows 8 app. VC++ 2010 is showing some Linker errors, which the book says should not be there ( If anyone knows how to fix this, please help me out!), so I kind of ditched the idea of learning DirectX and now am looking for a different environment to code in. I have zeroed in on Java or PyGame. My question is :
1) Should I really ditch XNA?
2) If yes, then should I downgrade to Windows 7 and then Learn DirectX?
3) If no, then which of the above two (Java / PyGame) Should I use?
I am looking to develop some light 2D program with focus on party(2 to 8 player) play.
I just need advice, and I know this question's been asked a lot, but I kinda have a different problem.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Game development problems with Windows 8

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Game development problems with Windows 8

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:35 PM

PS: I didn't know how to edit, so I replied with some extra stuff,.
I can work comfortably with these languages :
C/C++
Java
C#
Python
I can learn these languages, if required:
Javascript

My focus is not on Windows 8 only, but the game I develop should be usable from Xp/Vista to 8. If it is cross-platform, then It is even better!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:53 AM

You need to pick one platform, or version of Windows, then decide what you are going to use to make your game.

And no, your question is not different. It still asks what tools you should be using to make your game.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:11 AM

View PostButchDean, on 02 December 2012 - 12:53 AM, said:

You need to pick one platform, or version of Windows, then decide what you are going to use to make your game.

I am going to use Windows 8, but deployment should be on versions xp onwards.

View PostButchDean, on 02 December 2012 - 12:53 AM, said:

And no, your question is not different. It still asks what tools you should be using to make your game.

Oh... well, I needed a little more personalized advice.
Also, I am pretty certain about the tools I will be using (Dx, Java or PyGame), I just need to have the expert adviceon which one of these will be the best choice, in matters only an expert can advice me in.
However, I will keep your comment in consideration in any future threads I start.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:08 AM

Also, I am pretty certain about the tools I will be using (Dx, Java or PyGame).

DirectX is an API, Java is a programming language and PyGame is a set of Python modules built on SDL. They will all require a different approach, so being certain that you want to use one of these three is still not that helpful.

If you already know XNA then maybe you should stick with that. 'Outdated' may be too strong a word at this point considering the "modest" sales of windows 8 so far. Stick to what you know for now, skills are transferable.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:46 AM

View Poststayscrisp, on 02 December 2012 - 03:08 AM, said:

Also, I am pretty certain about the tools I will be using (Dx, Java or PyGame).

DirectX is an API, Java is a programming language and PyGame is a set of Python modules built on SDL. They will all require a different approach, so being certain that you want to use one of these three is still not that helpful.

Hmm. I was certainly ambiguous. By Java, I meant any 2D API in Java, and I really thought PyGame was more like XNA. The examples I've seen so far are certainly similar.

View Poststayscrisp, on 02 December 2012 - 03:08 AM, said:

If you already know XNA then maybe you should stick with that. 'Outdated' may be too strong a word at this point considering the "modest" sales of windows 8 so far. Stick to what you know for now, skills are transferable.

Thank you for the advice! I will certainly stick to XNA. I've googled around a bit, and I found out that you can Install XNA on Windows 8, however touch and accelerometer cannot be used. However, as I am not even thinking about using them, It's all fine for me. I am going to switch back to 7 for now.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:08 AM

Good luck! :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -