14 Replies - 577 Views - Last Post: 03 December 2012 - 08:02 PM

#1 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Of Unicorns and Legends...

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:08 AM

I caught this little gem in the news this morning.

The Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) reveals that archeologists from the History Institute of the DPRK Academy of Social Sciences have discovered a secret hideaway which was the burial site of the very unicorn ridden by King Tongmyeong, the founding father of the ancient Korean kingdom of Goguryeo (37 BC-668 AD).
cite

In case you forgot who Tongmyeong was..

According to legend, Tongmyeong was born from an egg impregnated by sunlight (so of course he commuted by unicorn).
cite

Oh, so this isn't new..

The news agency seems partial to magical news. Past reports have noted that deceased leader Kim Jong-il was born under a double rainbow, he once stopped a blizzard with his bare hands, and even more miraculously, once shot 11 holes in one in a single golf outing even though he was apparently born from human parents, rather than an egg and sunbeams.
cite

Also: http://www.kcna.co.j...21129-20ee.html

I got me thinking about regional and urban legends... and their awesomeness. Be it a Jersey Devil, Sasquatch, the treasure at Oak Island, or a unicorn's burial - they all color the areas we live in. Being we are such a diverse crowd of folk what are some of the more unique and interesting tales from where you are or grew up?

Some from the area are... a great aunt always told us going scarecrows came to life and snatched up kids in the full moon... then there's a bunch of "Black Angel" myths about why this statue is black and touching it on certain nights means you'll die in a week.

Obligatory movie posters:
Spoiler

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: Of Unicorns and Legends...

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Re: Of Unicorns and Legends...

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:35 AM

Though those are some good movies, I would have to say Korea is wrong since I own the only unicorn ever to exist. At least that is what my little pony tells me.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:37 AM

Wait, are you a brony too?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:39 AM

0mfg-- someone actually likes my little pony--- wtf
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:51 AM

Nice coverup.

I feel like they could at least *try* to make their propaganda believable.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:55 AM

Side note - I performed a wedding at Castle Unicorn. google map. It was pretty boss.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:04 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 03 December 2012 - 12:55 PM, said:

Side note - I performed a wedding at Castle Unicorn. google map. It was pretty boss.

What you were wearing the unicorn outfit? or the my little pony one?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 depricated  Icon User is online

• DLN-000

• View blog

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:05 AM

View PostDarenR, on 03 December 2012 - 10:39 AM, said:

0mfg-- someone actually likes my little pony--- wtf

Join the herd!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:08 AM

Naw.. just my typical black pinstripe suite that I was not trying to sweat through in the eighty degree afternoon. My unicorn hoodie was at the cleaners.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:19 PM

Down here we have so many.

1. El Duende - A little gnome thing that lures children out into the fields and plays with kids. He loves braiding hair and sometimes in the morning we found horses with their entire manes braided in very intricate patterns.

2. El Wajojo - A bird that omens death and suffering. You hear this and you better run your ass off and leave your current location. It's name derives from the sound it makes, unique: "waaaa jo jo jooooo"

3. La Viudita

4. El Pata de Cabra

Supposedly Satan himself shows up in backwater roads and counties.

---

tl:dr; I stay the fuck out of the country. :lol: Plus, I've had my share of paranormal experiences, I believe in these things because I have personally witnessed some of them.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:40 PM

Cow tipping.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Nasal Demon
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:46 PM

I was born and lived most of my life in a small village. Believe it or not, folks there were not all that stupid. ;)
Still, one of the "village legends" told sometimes to small kids is about not going alone to the field at night, because you can get "lost". Presumably some people go "missing" when walking around their land, even though they were born there and know it better than the back of their hand.
They say these people caught (verbatim translation) "an error", and walk around but can't find their way. (It doesn't really sound all that better in Polish, so yeah).
I say they caught too much (verbatim translation) "of vodka". :P

Other than that I can't really remember anything specific to my village. Well, to tell you the truth, I'm not sure it's even that local of a thing. :P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:50 PM

Korea's acting weird about dead things? That's Thailand's fault, actually.

More of this is true than you'd think. A lot more is true than many Asian countries will admit, unless it's flattering. Baavgai can probably give more insight about the naked/screaming/weapons/bottles thing than I can.
Spoiler

again, this is a fucking wall, but if people want dates, names, kingdoms and so on, I can probably put a good number in from memory, and the rest you can find with a bit of linguistic googling (trick is to translate something, translate back, and list all close translations in the translation box to see how shit works out before attempting a Google). It's fascinating stuff, and I didn't even touch the bizarre parts like polygamous marriages which subsequently became gay marriages out of a desire to be fashionable in Thailand and China, for example, or the history of transexuals throughout asia and the roles they played until the arrival of Christian misionaries, notably the Jesuits in Japan from the 1500's onward, and the advances made in both india and China that continue today that are hampered by (but also fuelled by) class divisions or caste-system impositions. I may be rabidly anti-religion, but I can make a pretty good case for the good work of missionaries, and cite many examples of it, including the introduction of literacy, over several generations, to an entire section of the world that had never experienced any kind before, their own or otherwise, and which, even by conservative estimates, includes millions of people in southern china throughout burma and laos, and hundreds of thousands more in Thailand.

The point, before anybody forgets (including me) is to show how these people think, because it's enough more complex than western thought that as a result of being exposed to it, even I pick up on hints from westerners now- despite never having noticed them before. So the deal, here, with Korea, is not simply that they are making a claim. Each part of that claim has to be examined independently to understand why they would make it. It is not simply that they are claiming to have a unicorn: they are, first, claiming to have history that is exceptionally long, and indeed they do. Second, they are claiming to have modern archaeological or scientific methods that can let them discover things about this history. Third, they are demonstrating that their knoweledge of history corroborates the evidence: they have not made the claim of having the unicorn skeleton itself, note, because that would contradict this, and we (clumsy westerners?) have already remembered the part about a horse with a horn, and do not need reminding, at least yet. Finally, they are showing the world that they are special: in a strange way that (thank god) only works in Korea, this is like a call to Jihad for them. It is an assertion by faith of the korean power that is beyond the natural world: they are superhumans for being korean, and we aren't. and this is very much an internal and external power demonstration at the same time, because if nothing else, the willingness of its population to accept unicorns as fact should give us some secular idea of what they might be capable of in comparison with other extremist ideas, especially given that the bones of Allah have never been discovered, of Jesus are very much in dispute, of Buddha are passed around as relics (with more relics than there ever was Buddha).

In short, they are saying, "we might be poor, but so are the other enemies that beat you, and now we are using their weapon: faith."

snippet about racism.
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Choscura: 03 December 2012 - 04:20 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:35 PM

Seriously... if you would write shorter posts, I might be inclined to read one or two of them...
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:02 PM

Short version: Korea + Thailand officially began diplomatic relations 700 years ago, interrupted and temporally ended by disastrous invasion attempt by mongols of Japan, mongols subsequently came to Thailand origins of thai horses trace back to this, repelled by weather + mosquitoes, japanese go to Korea, everybody complains about koreans being ugly (mongols took the pretty genes from their pool) and smelly (japanese refer to them as "angry garlic eating motherfuckers", first word korean attitude towards jap overlords, last is jap response to being resisted as overlords), Thai people took over Thailand (from Mon, south asian/indian group throughout mainland SE Aisa before then), Thai people also took over Taiwan, which used to be full of white people (no shit, aboriginals, but possibly another group between them and Thai settling). Modern asian cultures (and societies, since China's not a culture, according to other asians, as they never developed manners, are xenophobic and arrogant anyway, and don't know how to work or behave unless directed like robots- great for factories, bad everywhere else) make a big deal about every detail of what is said and almost don't care about the message itself, thus: north korea wants us to know the details: it has science + archaeology, illustrious long history- in that order- corroborated by evidence, population that believes in unicorns, willingness to use idiots as weapons a'la september 11, unicorns + history mean they are special snowflakes too, despite technical inferiority, social inferiority to their neighbors, and political inferiority to their only allies.

Also racism is about cultural competition (here), not actually about race. True shit.

This post has been edited by Choscura: 03 December 2012 - 10:06 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1