6 Replies - 2280 Views - Last Post: 07 December 2012 - 06:17 AM

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Recommended Web Host

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:16 PM

Hey guys, it's almost expiry time on my current webhosting and they're trying to charge ridiculous fees for another year, so it's time to move to a new one.

I was just wondering if anyone has any recommendations or anything about a host that they use/know is good.

My website is approx 250-300MB of content, and around 10MB MySQL databases. I also use email with the domain a lot, so that's a necessity.

The website uses (i.e. the host needs) PHP and MySQL. Preferably IMAP email. FTP support, SSH would be a bonus but isn't required.

I'll also be moving the domain which I'm currently looking at transferring to namecheap.com, where I've found a price-up of around $78USD for 2 years of domain + hosting, but I often hear people say it's better to manage domain and hosting separately, so I'd be happy to register the domain with them ($10USD to 2 years) and find hosting somewhere else (which sets the budget to around $70USD for 2 years of hosting)

Any recommendations?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Recommended Web Host

#2 BetaWar  Icon User is online

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Recommended Web Host

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:31 PM

I would have suggested bluehost.com (I use them and have been happy with them), but they charge $5/mo which comes out to $110 for 2 years (and is above your budget by $40.

Maybe godaddy? I haven't used them, but a lot of people seem to.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:53 PM

I'd recommend godaddy; they are who I use, but they are a bit more expensive than your current offer. Godaddy sells dotcoms for around $13 a year and provides hosting for $5 a month, give or take. As for separating hosting and domain name, where did you here that it was easier? I find it incredibly convenient that godaddy is my registrar and my host, of sorts. I'm my own host, but I rent a server from godaddy.

This post has been edited by goku87: 04 December 2012 - 08:01 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:03 PM

I'd recommend Bluhost as well. I've been hosting stuff with them for years, and am quite happy with them.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:06 AM

Just had a look and it looks like both GoDaddy and BlueHost have decent packages, it's a shame they're slightly out of budget. Hopefully they'll have a Christmas-related offer soon though.

View Postgoku87, on 04 December 2012 - 07:53 PM, said:

I'd recommend godaddy; they are who I use, but they are a bit more expensive than your current offer. Godaddy sells dotcoms for around $13 a year and provides hosting for $5 a month, give or take. As for separating hosting and domain name, where did you here that it was easier? I find it incredibly convenient that godaddy is my registrar and my host, of sorts. I'm my own host, but I rent a server from godaddy.

I think the reason is that usually web-hosts will charge a lot more for domain renewal than an actual domain registrar (which I have found to be true) and probably the same the other way around.

I made the mistake of registering my domain with iPage, who want to charge me around 30 (around $50USD) to renew the domain for 2 years (the domain alone, no hosting is included with that), namecheap.com however, offer domain renewals at $6.58/yr so $13.16 for 2 years, much cheaper.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:18 PM

View Postreaper4334, on 05 December 2012 - 07:06 AM, said:

Just had a look and it looks like both GoDaddy and BlueHost have decent packages, it's a shame they're slightly out of budget. Hopefully they'll have a Christmas-related offer soon though.

If you call them up (godaddy at least) they can probably hook you up with a special offer. I get 20-30% off my purchase pretty much every time I call.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:17 AM

There's a european based webhost, one.com which is pretty good. Both with support and prices. By doing some quick guesstimations, they should be within your budget.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1