10 Replies - 4150 Views - Last Post: 13 December 2012 - 09:16 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Effective Design?

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:41 PM

Hey Guys!!!

I'm really really loving this web design business, and, I would like your opinion on this webdesign I'm working on, it's taken me about 4 hours to think of some simple and clean Ideas, the colours are clearly plain type...greys and whites...but, it's effective for what I do.

What do I do exactly?
I'm a Video Editor (mainly edit Call of Duty series) but, nonetheless I get paid for it...and I do what we call "chill" edits...nothing fancy just nice clean videos...

that's the reason for the colours

Here's the design

Attached Image

Let me know what you think. Please.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Effective Design?

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Effective Design?

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:22 AM

Hey Lads,

I spent about 8 hours today working on a very basic web design...and than spent another 6 coding it because I got confused :D, anyways. Here's the front page...I still have every other page to do yet it's alot of work but it's looking nice in my opinion

http://yodesirez.com/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:21 AM

So you put the footer at the top and the menu at the bottom? It seems it would be a bit difficult to use.

The whole color palette is boring.
The menu's gray on dark gray with some gray is boring.
The super thin gray font on a flat faded rose background? Eh..
The logo - what is that hand drawn, scanned in, and just plunked down? It needs more defined edges! If anything throw a black clipped layer on top of it and sharpen up the lines. (assuming this is photoshop).

For the background - maybe throw a low faded grunge texture on it?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:31 AM

Not to be ridiculously harsh, but the site logo and the similar logo-style text in the bottom images are bad. They look really unprofessional and are crazy difficult to read.

Menu and footer need switched. You'll confuse people and anyone with a smaller screen resolution will have to scroll down to find the menu - many won't realize it's even there.

However, I disagree with modi in that I actually like the color scheme. And the plain background. And the minimalist, clean feel of the overall design.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:24 AM

Try not to open duplicate topics...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:29 AM

Front page looks pretty meh. Not bad, just meh.
Don't like that your links made my company's filters nervous (phishing warning) so I didn't stick around to learn more.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:31 PM

View PostBenignDesign, on 05 December 2012 - 08:31 AM, said:

Not to be ridiculously harsh, but the site logo and the similar logo-style text in the bottom images are bad. They look really unprofessional and are crazy difficult to read.

Menu and footer need switched. You'll confuse people and anyone with a smaller screen resolution will have to scroll down to find the menu - many won't realize it's even there.

However, I disagree with modi in that I actually like the color scheme. And the plain background. And the minimalist, clean feel of the overall design.

Thanks, the images are actually my thumbnails for youtube...so just used them, I'm re-designing something a bit cleaner for it
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:43 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 05 December 2012 - 08:21 AM, said:

So you put the footer at the top and the menu at the bottom? It seems it would be a bit difficult to use.

The whole color palette is boring.
The menu's gray on dark gray with some gray is boring.
The super thin gray font on a flat faded rose background? Eh..
The logo - what is that hand drawn, scanned in, and just plunked down? It needs more defined edges! If anything throw a black clipped layer on top of it and sharpen up the lines. (assuming this is photoshop).

For the background - maybe throw a low faded grunge texture on it?

Thanks for the feedback,

This was a first mockup, as for the footer problem, that's a little awkward because, I completely forgot to move the copyright part up the top to down the bottom :D.

The menu is meant to be dark, I'm working on making it cleaner looking, adding in a bit of a pattern over it to help with that, The logo? being "Dous", I was told from my Multimedia teacher (it's a project) that I had to put the Project TItle into the webpage, so, I just started up cinema 4d and made a lightroom, than gave the text a few tweaks, and there's the result...I personally like the way it is set out, as I said, it is for me and represents (I hope it does) how I enjoy a nice clean layout (just as I enjoy a clean video edit)

Yes it is photoshop :D.

Thanks again for the feedback I will take into consideration some things.

Regards,
Brent
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:37 AM

It's an nice effort by you, but you have to take into consideration some points like navigation which should be at the top-center position for easy navigation, use appropriate font color which must be different that background, not the same both to enhance web page visibility, and finally apply more brilliant ideas to make home page even better.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:16 PM

View PostJames_Smith, on 13 December 2012 - 02:37 AM, said:

apply more brilliant ideas to make home page even better.

Best advice in this whole thread right here.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:16 PM

View PostJames_Smith, on 13 December 2012 - 02:37 AM, said:

It's an nice effort by you, but you have to take into consideration some points like navigation which should be at the top-center position for easy navigation, use appropriate font color which must be different that background, not the same both to enhance web page visibility, and finally apply more brilliant ideas to make home page even better.

Hey,

I have been working on it a fair bit, I still have alot (emphasising) to learn and so far it's going well, if you care to take a look at the website (www.yodesirez.com) you will notice that the navigation bar is quite noticable, centered, and really easy to follow along with

As for the more brilliant ideas, I kinda laughed a little at that, if we could all just think of ideas that easily wouldn't it make this type of occupation a major hotspot? but, you are correct, I really should think about adding more content to it...maybe I'll get a recent comments going on the front page, don't want it overly crowded.

Thanks,
Brent
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1