Putting a Java Application Online

• (2 Pages)
  • +

20 Replies - 460 Views - Last Post: 05 December 2012 - 10:38 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Putting a Java Application Online

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:54 PM

Mobile devices are pretty far down on my pecking order right now, but I do think I am going to go the route of a framework.

I guess my next question is, does this render my PHP meaningless? Will this framework essentially do the work that the PHP is currently doing (storing users into a database, retrieving user data, etc)? Sorry if I'm coming across as completely clueless. I appreciate the help.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:56 PM

It's refreshing to have intelligent questions, so don't apologize.

A framework will generally do the same work that your PHP does, including talking to the database.

It is likely that you could get it working via a PHP web site that communicates with the app (or just the database, if the application just passively updates data), depending on how your application works.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:00 PM

View Postxclite, on 05 December 2012 - 09:56 PM, said:

It's refreshing to have intelligent questions, so don't apologize.

A framework will generally do the same work that your PHP does, including talking to the database.

It is likely that you could get it working via a PHP web site that communicates with the app (or just the database, if the application just passively updates data), depending on how your application works.

Hmm.. the application doesn't just simply update data. The way that my application works is it logs you in through Twitter and then runs through a couple of methods that do a few things on the user's account. Essentially, all I need to send to the application is the user's Twitter ID and a few other parameters to run the code, if this makes sense.

Maybe I could do this all through PHP? Is there a way to communicate with my Java application using PHP? I didn't think that this was possible.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:10 PM

In looking for ways to communicate with my application through just PHP, I found something called Zend Server. Does anybody know anything about this and is it a path worth pursuing?

http://www.oracle.co...ver-152557.html
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:12 PM

I've never used "Zend" Server myself.

There are ways to bridge languages without it, though it may be just what you want if you feel like writing the website in PHP.

You can also probably communicate between the PHP code and a socket if you wanted (PHP has to have sockets).

Of course alternatively there's always the option of just doing the whole thing in Java.

I've never used "Zend" Server myself.

There are ways to bridge languages without it, though it may be just what you want if you feel like writing the website in PHP.

You can also probably communicate between the PHP code and a socket if you wanted (PHP has to have sockets).

Of course alternatively there's always the option of just doing the whole thing in Java.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:38 PM

Ok, thank you. I think I have a basic idea of where I need to start.

I do have another question that may or may not have something to do with this. What exactly is the difference between a Java application and a JEE application? Will I be able to do all of this web integration with mine if it is not a JEE application?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +