• Pythoneer
  • member icon

• View blog

Lots of Updates

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:10 PM

POPULAR

TLDR version:
Spoiler

Hey guys, it's been a while. I'm not going to lie, it's been a rough year. Contracts expire, jobs get outsourced, projects get phased out... the working world has not been kind to ol' atraub.

In May of 2012, I found myself at the graduation of some dear friends. There, I ran into my former roommate, a funny guy with a larger-than-life personality. He was a good computer science student; I would know, I tutored him through many of his classes. As we caught up, he told me about his past year where he had worked on interesting projects and found time to travel to many of the places I've dreamed of. I realized that while he was living the dream I had somehow allowed myself to be tied to a home I could barely afford in a very unhappy living situation. That day made me realize that things needed to change.

You might remember I had written a post about taking some time off and perhaps going into the peace corps or teaching English. By the end of the post, I had let influences from my family steer me away from any of this until I finished my Master's Degree. I realized that the Master's Degree is important to a lot of people, but not me. Maybe future atraub will want it, but right now I just don't care that much.

I decided I want to teach again. I helped teach a computer science class in college and it was the happiest time of my life. I've always loved teaching (which is what has kept me at DIC for so many years) so I'm going to be teaching English in South Korea. Why South Korea? Well, I've always wanted to spend some time in Asia (I've been saying that since middle school) and South Korea treats teachers very well.

Since coming to this decision, I've dropped out of my Master's program, I've put my house up for rent (and a tenant just signed an 18 month lease!), and I'm working on getting into a teaching program in South Korea. Most programs only require a Bachelor's degree, but I'm getting TESOL (Teaching English to Speackers of Other Languages) certification to get into a really good program, I've sent out for an FBI background check, I have 1 letter of recommendation already completed and 1-2 more lined up, and I've gotten my portrait taken for my Korean resume (it's surprisingly important). I waited to announce this because I wanted to get to the point of no return first. Admittedly, I'm not there yet, but I have done enough that I really don't think there's any turning back now. Everyday I get a little closer and I get a little more excited... it's been a long time since I've felt so hopeful.

CLARIFICATION
I get the impression that some people might think this is a "farewell" thread. Nothing could be further from the truth! I love this community and you guys are stuck with me for the foreseeable future! I really can't imagine a reason why I'd leave this site permanently; you guys have been a big part of my life for years.

This post has been edited by atraub: 10 December 2012 - 09:45 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 19
  • +

Replies To: Lots of Updates

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Lots of Updates

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:15 PM

Well shit man.. congrats!

http://www.state.gov.../flo/c21946.htm
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pythoneer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:23 PM

That link is a great resource, I'll read it over more thoroughly in the morning.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:27 PM

No problem.

Also keep up on the state department's recommendations when traveling (even to S. Korea). Helpful shit and immunizations you may need.

.. like say:

If you are visiting the Republic of Korea for employment, for any profit-making reason, to teach English, or for stays longer than 90 days, you must get a visa at an ROK embassy or consulate.

http://travel.state....s/cis_1018.html

Oh and with N.Korea getting all pissy that 'travel alert' section should be a twice a week refresh while over there..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pythoneer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:33 PM

Haha I've been keeping an eye on that long range missile they want to test. keep your fingers that they fail on that too :-P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:46 PM

I am just stoked someone is doing something positive and not poll-a-troll'n the student area or cubicle corner mewing for people to tell them what to do! Rugged individualism for the win!

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Pythoneer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:56 PM

Polls are fun, but I rather not let guys like jon.kiparsky have any say in my life decisions... rather than going to Korea, I'd end up exposing myself to traffic lmao.

This post has been edited by atraub: 07 December 2012 - 09:57 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:35 AM

Wow! Big move. Best of luck, and keep us posted on the adventure.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Peasant
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:36 AM

I really don't know you but I have to say that's an amazing step you've taken there. Great job, and I hope you continue to be so happy about everything. It's good to see people who have a real passion for something and that actually try to make a change for that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:14 AM

Congrats on the big move! Good luck in South Korea!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• GabehabeSwamp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:22 AM

View Postatraub, on 08 December 2012 - 04:56 AM, said:

Polls are fun, but I rather not let guys like jon.kiparsky have any say in my life decisions... rather than going to Korea, I'd end up exposing myself to traffic lmao.

Can't you do both?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:46 AM

Send me some souvenirs! :chinese:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#13 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:44 PM

View Postgabehabe, on 09 December 2012 - 07:22 AM, said:

View Postatraub, on 08 December 2012 - 04:56 AM, said:

Can't you do both?

I think Thailand is more what you're thinking.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pythoneer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:49 AM

Thanks everyone,

I'll keep you all posted as things develop, I'm thinking I might make a couple youtube videos but don't hold me to that one lol also, I'm sure I can find some sort of souvenir for NeoTifa :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:02 AM

POPULAR

i don't remember you, but you wrote your past in paragraphs using proper english, so unlike everyone else with 'remember me' threads i am not going to make fun of you.

...too much
Was This Post Helpful? 12
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +