5 Replies - 369 Views - Last Post: 09 December 2012 - 09:21 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Question about School

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:26 PM

So a quick background, I'm 24 serving in the United States Navy. I've finally decided to go back to school, specifically for Software Engineering. The problem is I have to go to an online program, due to work and having a new born. I was hoping I could get some advice on good schools to go to that offer good online programs and won't cos me 80 grand for an undergrad. I was also wanting to know more about Software Engineering as a career field just to make sure this is what I want to do (so far from what I've read it is).

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Question about School

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Re: Question about School

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:24 PM

Firstly, thank you for your service.

This is the game development forum, are you interested specifically in programming for games?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:31 PM

View PostButchDean, on 09 December 2012 - 06:24 PM, said:

Firstly, thank you for your service.

This is the game development forum, are you interested specifically in programming for games?

Yes, video games is my ultimate goal however, Once I get out of the service I will be moving back home to Louisiana and there isn't much call for the video game industry in the state at the moment
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:33 PM

Well, the only way to find out if you want to do it or not would be to have a go writing your first game. There are a load of stickies on this forum to ensure your questions is more focused.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:57 PM

I've toyed around with coding and have rather enjoyed it, gaming is just the preferred method. Seeing as I have a little over a year and a half left in I'd limerick get at least have way to my B.S. Just don't know who to go through, to get my money's worth. Also I can get Tuition Assistance through the Navy while I'm active duty and that will help a lot.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:21 PM

I read traditional computer science and taught myself how to write games. The key to being very good is to actually dive in and start coding. I think this is what you should do for a while to see if you like it, rather than pay for a course that you might drop out of.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1