13 Replies - 704 Views - Last Post: 10 December 2012 - 03:27 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

What engine to use?

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:27 AM

Hi,
I'm not a complete newbie to game development, I've already got some experience with Flash and Unity 3D. But, for the next game that I'd like to create, I need an engine/library that enables me to do the following:
- Create Doom-like graphics (like raycasting) BUT with rotation over the X-axis and mouse input. So, basically, low res textures and low res for the game itself too.
- Open a folder/file or create a folder/(text) file on closing.
3D development can be very tricky in Flash, but I don't think Unity will let me manipulate files, or get me the "Doom-effect". Which engine or library do you think is best?

Thanks,
Arne Gevaert

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What engine to use?

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: What engine to use?

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:45 AM

What does a Doom-like graphics have to do with raycasting?

What is "Doom effect"? I seriously doubt that you would want to create/edit files or folders during runtime.

Between flash and unity3d I would suggest Unity3d for 3D game development.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:04 AM

I'm sorry, but it's a bit complicated to explain. With "the doom-effect", I mean graphics like these: http://www.pc-freak....oom2.jpg?e83a2c (the walls, for example, have a certain semi-3D feel to it.). I've had a suggestion from someone else who said I could achieve these graphics using raycasting in Flash, but that wouldn't allow me to have the player use the mouse, or rotate around the X axis. So, basically, I'd need the game to look like the graphics in the picture I've mentioned, which is "the doom-effect", but with rotation around the X axis (looking up or down). As for the file manipulation, I'd like to use the file manipulation to make the game "crash" (not really, just close itself), and then let it open an image of a skull for example, creating the illusion that the game is taking control over your PC, which should scare the user. Of course, I'd warn the user and tell them that it's not actually a virus in the beginning of the game.

Basically, what I'm trying to replicate, is this: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=e2L67_s0yJE (If you fast forward, you can see that at certain points the game "crashes" and opens a folder/file.)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:17 PM

Sorry to say but this is a terrible approach in concept and application. For the record, you wouldn't actually close the game to so the image, you just change the game state to draw/show the skull image.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:50 PM

Look, I know it looks like a stupid idea, but you don't seem to get my point. Of course I know that if you just want to show an image to the player, then you don't have to close the game and open the file, that would be stupid. But in this case it is supposed to look like it's not normal, it's supposed to look like somethings wrong, that's exactly what creeps the player out. If you finish a level in a creepy game, and then it just shows a little image, and you proceed to the next level, then that's not scary, it's exactly what you expect. But if you finish the level, and the game appears to crash, but your computer mysteriously opens a scary image, or a text file with some creepy message telling you to open the game again, and when you open the game again, you're in the next level, then that's way scarier, because it's not what you expect. Get the idea?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:53 PM

Basically you are asking to replicate the 'sanity' effects from Eternal Darkness?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:59 PM

View Postarnegevaert, on 10 December 2012 - 09:50 PM, said:

Look, I know it looks like a stupid idea, but you don't seem to get my point. Of course I know that if you just want to show an image to the player, then you don't have to close the game and open the file, that would be stupid. But in this case it is supposed to look like it's not normal, it's supposed to look like somethings wrong, that's exactly what creeps the player out. If you finish a level in a creepy game, and then it just shows a little image, and you proceed to the next level, then that's not scary, it's exactly what you expect. But if you finish the level, and the game appears to crash, but your computer mysteriously opens a scary image, or a text file with some creepy message telling you to open the game again, and when you open the game again, you're in the next level, then that's way scarier, because it's not what you expect. Get the idea?

Yes, I got your idea initially and have also made my opinion clear.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:03 PM

@modi123_1: no, not exactly, maybe this video will make it clearer (fastforward to 4 minutes): http://www.youtube.c...h?v=LPIgKjU7oM8
@ButchDean: I'm sorry, I really didn't mean to sound rude, it's just a little hard to explain like this.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:08 PM

I guess I don't know what I am supposed to be finding at minute 4.. but if you are trying to go all 'meta' to... scare the user (even though they know that this isn't real) then that's all up in Eternal Darkness's backyard.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:14 PM

Well, at 4 minutes (4:05 to be exact), the game stops, and the game folder contains a text file with a message. But, I don't really know this Eternal Darkness, but looking at the wikipedia page that you showed, I think that's more or less what I'm trying to do. So, if I would want to create a game like Eternal Darkness, what engine should I use?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:18 PM

That wraps on to what platform do you want to this to go to?

Essentially it breaks down to: pick a platform, pick a language, and shuffle what engine encompasses both. This isn't rocket surgery... (churgery even!)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:20 PM

I'd just need it to be able to publish for PC, standalone.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:21 PM

Well then XNA that hooks nicely in the .NET framework.. DirectX is probably the better known.. now go research some engines for both all of that and have a ball.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:27 PM

Wow, I can't believe I actually hadn't thought about XNA.. Thanks! :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1