1 Replies - 365 Views - Last Post: 10 December 2012 - 11:26 AM

#1 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Anyone tracking the WCIT?

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:08 AM

WCIT is the World Conference on International Telecommunications event ran by the UN's agency ITU (International Telecommunication Union)

The conference, organised by the UNís International Telecommunication Union (ITU), is seeking to revise the International Telecommunication Regulations (ITRs), which make up a treaty establishing international rules for telecommunications systems, last updated in 1988.
Attendees at the conference have until this Friday (14 December) to decide on what proposals will be accepted and made into international law. However, even when they are drafted into law, nation states will not be compelled to follow the rules, they will only be expected to enforce them in their own regions. Over 900 proposals have been put forward so far.
cite 1

Basically a gathering of countries to discussing a new teleco treaty and trying to snag control of the interwebz from the US. Last week a fist full of upstanding countries had a draft proposal leaked to oust the US as the head of ICANN and give countries better access to blocking websites on a global level.

A Russia-led proposal calling for sweeping new governmental powers to regulate cyberspace could enable countries to block some Web locations and wrest control of allotting Internet addresses from a U.S.-based body.

The proposal, co-signed by Russia, China, Saudi Arabia, Algeria, Sudan and the United Arab Emirates

cite 2

Here's the alleged proposal:
http://files.wcitlea...AE%20081212.pdf

Basically these countries wanted the UN's ITU to control the internet and extend the treaties from international wirelines and wireless calls to include the internet. The US, Europe, Aussies, and Japan think this isn't a good diea.

"The reason some countries want to create national control over addresses is so they can have another point of control," said Rod Beckstrom, until recently chief executive of ICANN, which currently sits atop the addressing system.

Decentralizing the process could prove chaotic if many countries demand that companies use only their national system, he told Reuters.

Beyond web locations and addresses, the Russia-led coalition document says ITU member states should be able to control other elements of the Internet's infrastructure within their borders, as Russia has sought for months.

The revision would give nations the explicit right to "implement policy" on net governance and "regulate the national Internet segment," the draft says.
cite 2

That's all good and dandy, but it seems like the proposal evaporated this morning.

China, Russia and others have withdrawn controversial proposals at the World Conference on International Telecommunications (WCIT) 2012 that would have given them greater control over the Internet, following a public backlash from dismayed onlookers.
cite 1

It sounds like Anonymous has weighed in as well and been sporadically trashing sites.

Even with the proposal off the table what do you all think about pushing the control of the internet into the multinational basketball courts of the UN? That would certainly bog down any massive changes (lord knows the UN moves at a glacial pace), and odd enforcement issues exist still... but is it time to be more global approach?

Personally I am not sure how that proposal submission worked, but all I can see is a gang of evil cartoon henchmen (and henchwomen) shuffling up to a giant desk with this proposal telling the clerk they would be totally cool with respects to the internet.

In a better world global organizations like the UN would work better and I could see everyone holding hands working for the betterment of humanity, but I know that isn't true. While the US is doing a good to moderately great job overseeing what's up it could be quite a bit worse.

Cliff notes:
- Russia, China, Saudi Arabia, Algeria, Sudan, and the United Arab Emirates wanted less US control the internet
- Should the US start easing up on control soon, or even ever?
- Skeletor: When are you goody-goody fools going to understand? I am completely and utterly evil. I live to be bad! I care for no one and no one cares for me.

Spoiler

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: Anyone tracking the WCIT?

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Re: Anyone tracking the WCIT?

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:26 AM

I am not for reading long articles or even posts ----so to this point I say that the article is intriguing and kinda pointless since no one will agree on anything. Bring us the europe internet speeds then we can talk.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1