3 Replies - 2099 Views - Last Post: 12 December 2012 - 08:59 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

PHP RPG Web-Hosting Issues

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:35 AM

Hello everyone, I'm working on developing a php MMORPG. I've run into a few issues though that I would REALLY appreciate some help with. I've had the ideas for my game for quite a while now and I've even constructed a roughly 30-page walkthrough of how I intend for it to function. I've put together a few seperate compilations of pseudo-code and have even done some practice pages on my own PC (USB Webserver). My main problem I am running into is the fact that I've purchased the domain for the game already, however, I'm stuck there. I haven't been able to actually upload any of the pages I want to test out to the internet due to my something servers not pointing towards my host's site. I've gone through the help pages and have even tried to contact the supposed person who previously owned the domain, however, that was no use. Obviously without being able to upload any pages to the site, I won't have a game :P. Secondly, I was able to get past my organizational issues with the ideas behind the game, however, I've run into the issues of the layout of the site. I know anyone willing to help won't be able to aid in laying out a webgame that they have no idea what it's about so I am mostly just asking for some tips on how other people have organized their projects? Maybe different softwares used or even just brainstorming techniques. Also, I'm posting this with the intentions of possibly recruiting anyone interested in assisting with development. The concept (without giving too much away) is an MMORPG with two seperate factions in which players can earn experience for leveling or money for items through time-based training or working. Other unique aspects to the game are player-controlled economies and the unique absence of magic! That's right, an MMORPG based in a medieval time period without magic. If anyone is interested in helping with development or just has any tips to help me, please let me know :) Thanks!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: PHP RPG Web-Hosting Issues

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: PHP RPG Web-Hosting Issues

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:21 AM

Moved to Web Hosting
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:26 AM

Wow, thanks for not making that difficult to read a block, wall of text.

My main problem I am running into is the fact that I've purchased the domain for the game already, however, I'm stuck there. I haven't been able to actually upload any of the pages

Depending on who you register your domain through, you likely don't get hosting. When you register the domain, you then have to point the ns records to your dns server, which points to your hosting server. If you registered a domain for say, $12, it is most likely that you don't have hosting.

What I don't understand is why you pay to register a domain, & then post here for help. Why wouldn't you just call their customer service?

Secondly, I was able to get past my organizational issues with the ideas behind the game, however, I've run into the issues of the layout of the site.

This would be better suited for a 2nd topic, under php. Webhosting & php are not related, & you really should have two topics, one in each of their own sub forums.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:59 AM

to the internet due to my something servers not pointing towards my host's site

Your what servers? Are you talking about your domain's DNS records are not pointing to your host site? You would log in to your domain register's site and they should have a clear path to fixing that.. I mean that's the point of a domain is to route requests to a specific host.

I am mostly just asking for some tips on how other people have organized their projects?

Folders.. clearly named files and functions.. you know - the typical way of organizing anything.

Maybe different softwares used

Make sure you have some sort of source control.

or even just brainstorming techniques.

If it's just you then a white board or a pad and paper work best for me.

Also, I'm posting this with the intentions of possibly recruiting anyone interested in assisting with development.

Then post something in the 'post a job' section.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1