I need advice from you guys

• (3 Pages)
  • +

30 Replies - 3948 Views - Last Post: 27 December 2012 - 08:01 AM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

I need advice from you guys

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:40 PM

I'm not sure if I graduate from CS major with a GPA of 2.8 would land me any job... Right now my major GPA is 3.07, over all is 2.82. So it is pretty bad... I know. And I estimate to have 7 more classes to go after this semester... I would fail a class this semester also... The overall future look grim to me :\
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: I need advice from you guys

• Perfectly Squared ;)
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: I need advice from you guys

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:44 PM

Lets not think negative here...why do you say that you will fail?

Keep telling to yourself that you will pass and pass with flying colors...and work towards that goal...try to push away everything in your life that distract you and give your 100% to your studies.

Good luck :)

regards,
Raghav
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:46 PM

I just worry with a lower GPA, it is tough to get a job. And since the class that I predict that I fail I having 50% over all grade at the moment, I believe I get an F in it. Even if I want to retake that class, the prof aint teaching it again for more than a year, and I am a senior now.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:50 PM

Keep telling to yourself that you will pass and pass with flying colors...and work towards that goal...try to push away everything in your life that distract you and give your 100% to your studies.

Could try that. Alternatively, you could try to figure out why you're not getting the grades you want to be getting and what you can do to change that.

This post has been edited by jon.kiparsky: 12 December 2012 - 09:51 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:58 PM

I guess that sometimes I just dont understand the material well enough and bomb the tests quite bad. But what is an acceptable GPA for the field/?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:58 PM

Or you could stop to realize that most employers (at least from my experience) could give a shit less what your GPA was as long as you can produce a magical piece of paper that says you graduated.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:01 PM

View PostBenignDesign, on 12 December 2012 - 09:58 PM, said:

Or you could stop to realize that most employers (at least from my experience) could give a shit less what your GPA was as long as you can produce a magical piece of paper that says you graduated.

Some people around me always give me an idea that your GPA determine whether you get hired.... I did have a summer internship experience and it is pretty great, though the GPA thing always weight me down...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:03 PM

There are some employers who will check your GPA (or so I've been told), but I can honestly say I have never encountered one myself.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#9 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:05 PM

Some jobs may ask for it.. that's for sure.. entry level and what not... be prepared to answer why it is this number and not that number without leaving a puddle behind.

The question is do you understand the material enough to actually do what ever job you want to do when you graduate?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:11 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 12 December 2012 - 10:05 PM, said:

Some jobs may ask for it.. that's for sure.. entry level and what not... be prepared to answer why it is this number and not that number without leaving a puddle behind.

The question is do you understand the material enough to actually do what ever job you want to do when you graduate?

I would say yes, I do understand stuffs from the class. What happening here is that I got hit bad in introductory CS class when I first start programming, got a C+ in those class, but I guess i can land a B in data structure. What worrying me now is the Intro to Bioinformatic class I have, I do really bad in it, should left this class when I had the chance.. I thought I would be fine, but turn out protein and DNA sequence matching isnt my thing...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#11 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:17 PM

Ah, yeah, so a question - how are you other (non-major) classes doing? Say the English department? ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:26 PM

English, A, Science... one C+, one B+, those are for chems, but my gen Ed majorly from my community college, so they all counted as T, not included in GPA calculation. Also the Bio informatic I having a hard time with is more or less an elective of 400 level, for senior, I chose this because I didnt have anymore class to pick, just randomly picked it. But since I am in the high end of the 2.0 spectrum, I will try to land a 3.0+ at least before I grad, doesnt matter if I have to stay back one semester...

This post has been edited by RozenKristal: 12 December 2012 - 10:29 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#13 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:32 PM

View PostBenignDesign, on 13 December 2012 - 12:03 AM, said:

There are some employers who will check your GPA (or so I've been told), but I can honestly say I have never encountered one myself.

This is anecdotal evidence of course, but I never actually had a copy of my college transcript until I went to get the certificate from my tech writing program. Mind you, this wasn't to get into the program, it was to get the actual certificate to establish that I'd taken the program.
I had a lot of different jobs in the meantime, and not one of them ever even knew for sure that I'd gone to college, let alone what grades I'd gotten. So if you can show that you know what you're doing, you're probably okay.

@modi - considering that I couldn't even write two words of Romanian, I'm inclined to give a brother a break on the English front.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:36 PM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 12 December 2012 - 10:32 PM, said:

View PostBenignDesign, on 13 December 2012 - 12:03 AM, said:

This is anecdotal evidence of course, but I never actually had a copy of my college transcript until I went to get the certificate from my tech writing program. Mind you, this wasn't to get into the program, it was to get the actual certificate to establish that I'd taken the program.
I had a lot of different jobs in the meantime, and not one of them ever even knew for sure that I'd gone to college, let alone what grades I'd gotten. So if you can show that you know what you're doing, you're probably okay.

@modi - considering that I couldn't even write two words of Romanian, I'm inclined to give a brother a break on the English front.

Oh no, modi is actually right about that. I am not English native speaker, and I am from the SE Asia region, so my accent is pretty strong, it sound chinese and a bit viet mixing, since I speak both languages. My cousins who born in the state always tell me to practice my english more, and writing; though I am having a little difficulty, I am improving bit by bit. Came to the US quite late, around 17~18, so it isn't easy. Thank for the infor jon

This post has been edited by RozenKristal: 12 December 2012 - 10:57 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#15 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:12 PM

Ah, I'd mixed up your profile with someone else's, I suppose, and supposed you were based in Romania. Sorry.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +