• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Re: win 7 or win 8

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:52 AM

:dontgetit:

View Postmodi123_1, on 13 December 2012 - 12:15 PM, said:

Okay... you're young.

Spoiler

commadore 64?-- the greatest computer ever made?

You mean still being made?
http://www.commodore...t/cusa_c64.aspx

cant see the image at work :dontgetit:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:56 AM

Just assume it's a christmas goatse. Ha.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:58 AM

View PostDarenR, on 13 December 2012 - 11:52 AM, said:

cant see the image at work :dontgetit:/>

Then you need a new place to work. How dare they limit your on-the-clock screwing off socializing like that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:15 AM

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 13 December 2012 - 12:58 PM, said:

View PostDarenR, on 13 December 2012 - 11:52 AM, said:

cant see the image at work :dontgetit:/>/>

Then you need a new place to work. How dare they limit your on-the-clock screwing off socializing like that.

seriously i know right>?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:30 AM

View Postdepricated, on 13 December 2012 - 12:35 PM, said:

a: What would you call it? As far as every definition I'm aware of, it's an OS.

You booted Dos, & once you were at a command prompt you typed win. Or you had 'win' run from a startup script. You then exited windows & were back to the dos prompt. You could not install Windows on the pc without Dos. Dos was the OS, Windows was a graphical interface.

edit: aside: anyone ever notice that Windows abbreviated versions spell CEMENT?

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• DLN-000

• View blog

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:35 AM

View Postno2pencil, on 13 December 2012 - 11:30 AM, said:

a: What would you call it? As far as every definition I'm aware of, it's an OS.

You booted Dos, & once you were at a command prompt you typed win. Or you had 'win' run from a startup script. You then exited windows & were back to the dos prompt. You could not install Windows on the pc without Dos. Dos was the OS, Windows was a graphical interface.

edit: aside: anyone ever notice that Windows abbreviated versions spell CEMENT?

Posted Image

Fair enough. And lol at the brick
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:36 AM

I like Windows 8. It works very well for me.

I thought the start menu would be an issue. But really I seldom use it, the most I do is 'windows key' -> 'type program name' -> 'enter'. It works... It's just a full screen results page then a small results page.

But really I like 7 as well. I use both (as well as a few different OS's) depending where I am and what machine I'm on. Both are good OS's. If I was getting a new machine, I'd shoot for whichever was cheap. And if you're on Vista or XP already, Win8 Pro upgrade is cheap as balls right now... like 40 bucks for Pro.

And if the start menu is really that annoying to you. If you can't get around it. There is multiple 3rd party replacements that work nicely.

Classic Shell being free and very nice:
http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/

I was going to use it, but decided not to after realizing the existing start menu doesn't bother me.

40 bucks and Classic Shell... very good deal compared to 7.

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 13 December 2012 - 11:38 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#23 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:12 PM

I'm another one that actually likes Win 8. There's a lot of cool stuff included, like a vastly improved task manager, a ribbon for the file explorer that's actually useful, toast notifications (which are way better than bubbles from the task bar), speed graphs in file transfer dialogs, and general performance increases.

If you really, really can't get used to the new Start screen, then I think you're just too stubborn. You can't get stuck on one particular piece of interface, because the world will move on without you and you'll just be a bitter old man/woman complaining about how much better things used to be. It's really not that bad, you just pin the programs you actually want to use there, and unpin the rest. If you need something not pinned, you just start typing. And you can still pin desktop applications to the task bar, so I find myself almost never using the start menu anyway.

I'm not in love with the Metro apps for the desktop, but who cares? I don't have to use them. I've got desktop application replacements for almost every one of them. VLC handles movies, Zune handles music (and when they get rid of that, I'll probably install iTunes or something else), Chrome handles browsing and PDFs, and the old Windows Photo Viewer handles my pictures. and that's it. Nothing else has a Metro app as its default. You can easily change the default by right-clicking and clicking Open With.

Overall, I've had a good experience with it, in spite of Metro. Metro on tablets is awesome; on desktops it's meh, but you don't really have to use it, so again, meh.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:08 PM

My biggest concern is whether my games will run or not lol-- oh and vs
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#25 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:11 PM

Of course it will work with VS (seriously, MS would have to screw up hard to have their own OS not work with their flagship development suite). Yes, it has run all my games, both Steam and Origin. I've yet to have an OS-specific issue with any of my games, many of which were released long before W8 was.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:25 PM

seriously, MS would have to screw up hard to have their own OS not work with their flagship development suite

well this actually has happened before this year as a matter of fact. On one of Microsofts updates for Office it ruined some Windows Ports that many banks use for security reasons. Microsoft actually had to release a patch to correct the issue. I know this for a fact since I work in the industry and we were one of the ones affected by it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:41 PM

Windows 98 was the last good OS...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#28 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:53 PM

To the people going on about alternating good vs. bad releases of Windows, I guess they're forgetting a lot of things.

3.1 wasn't an operating system, but if we're going to count it, you've also got to count the previous versions which weren't all that good.

98 wasn't great; they had to release 98 SE (second edition) to fix a lot of the issues.

Windows XP love proves just how short a memory a lot of people have. Windows XP pre service packs was hated. People called it "Fischer Price" because of the theme, and it had horrendous security. It took two service packs for it to become the "good" OS.

Vista actually got much better post service packs, just like XP. But Vista had such a bad reputation from launch that a lot of people never knew that it got better, because they just wanted to bitch.

And this only includes the consumer-grade releases, you'd have to go back and check all the Windows NT releases to compare. They were relatively good. Windows 2000 and Windows ME came out around the same time, because that was before they merged NT with the consumer line.

Basically, there's no trend. You can't say that W8 is bad just because W7 was good.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:04 PM

& as I've brought up many times in the past... what is wrong with an OS? So many people bitch about Vista & ME. Well give me examples. & most people can't.

Windows ME actually had a huge improvement to the print spooler. I pulled the driver from my mothers home pc & installed where I worked (in 2004) on 100+ machines. It corrected a severe lockup issue we were having with Windows 2000 & XP machines, & I was regarded as the IT king for like 2 weeks.

People are so quick to point out ascetic flaws because it makes them sound smart to be the little guy tarring apart something from a large corporation. Very few people have legitimate gripes against any operating system.

My biggest hatred towards Vista was the way in which Microsoft (basically bribed) firmware manufacturers into writing Vista only device drivers. This is why you can't downgrade most laptops to XP. Sure the system bus & cpu will boot the os, but for sata, audio, & even network drivers, pfft, good luck. Linux didn't have the issue because most Linux kernel developers have been reverse engineering their own drivers for years already. Vista wasn't selling so Microsoft bumped their numbers with oem installs.

& just a blurb on security. For anyone that thinks Windows XP or Vista was insecure, obviously is too young to remember Windows 95 & 'nuking'.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:12 PM

makes them sound smart to be the little guy tarring apart something from a large corporation.

Tearing? As in "the ripp'n and the tear'n", or is this along the lines of tar and feather?
(yes it makes me feel cool for pointing that out... my life is hollow and empty)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »