• +

68 Replies - 6166 Views - Last Post: 16 January 2013 - 02:08 PM

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: win 7 or win 8

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:15 PM

Oops, tear looked too much like crying.

Stupid English language. Stain on me. My bad.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:48 PM

I actually had my first run in with windows 8 today. One of the upper managers called me in to fix her computer because she couldn't get any sound out of it. FYI, the issue was on the user end, she was using an HDMI to SVGA adapter. Obviously the SVGA monitor didn't have speakers and since she was plugging in to an HDMI port the pc routed the sound from the laptop speakers to the HDMI port.

The only gripes I have about windows 8 so far are aesthetic. I can almost guarantee that if I actually started working with the system for more than a few weeks either I'd find some major bugs, or I'd fall in love with it.

For the most part I almost always advise against buying into a new OS for the first few years of it's existence simply because there are almost always major flaws that must be found and patched. However, if everyone followed that advice there would be no one to find those flaws so they'd never get fixed.

Either way, you have to make your own educated decision based upon your own knowledge of the two operating systems. Our opinions are just that, opinions. Sure some of our opinions may be based in some simbalance of fact, but for the most part it's all conditional based upon our own experiences with the software. Then again, I'm sure some here may have formed their opinion without having even played with the OS for a few minutes. I'll be the first to say that I can't tell you which OS is better. I can tell you which one is supposed to be better, but that should be common knowledge by now.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:16 PM

I'm still using vista - I think it gets more hate than it deserves yes there are some bugs but other than that I think it's fine and personally I'm glad they're trying something new with windows 8. It may not be good but at least they are changing stuff.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Tired.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:26 PM

I just upgraded to 8, and at first I couldn't stand it. But I moved all of my common apps to the taskbar (just like MAC), and centered them (just like MAC) and from then on it has been smooth. All of my games work just fine. I really do think it's jitters about the missing start menu that is freaking people out. Really, it feels like a MAC at this point and the Start Screen is MAC's dashboard.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:34 PM

I couldn't get visual studio 2010 installed, so it was a deal breaker for me. I had to switch back to 7 for now. If you don't mind not using visual studio 2010, go for windows 8. It's a nice OS. The new start menu is nice and easy to get used to.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Ninjaducky
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:32 AM

I have been using Windows 8 since the beginning of October (School agreement with the College of Computing) and I have to say that I quite like it. The hotkeys are great, the aesthetics are interesting for sure, and anything major that needs to happen can still happen through the Desktop app and start menu items. And there are numerous benefits as well, such as split screen capability and on dual monitors, you can run an app on one screen and desktop on the other without any problems at all (so Netflix app in fullscreen without other desktop stuff interfering).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• DLN-000

• View blog

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:44 AM

I'm thinking of buying a copy of Windows 8, since it's so cheap right now. Perhaps it's not conveyed well, but my "no hope" comments are meant to be rather tongue-in-cheek. It's meant to be in the same vein as the CEMENT comment. ANY new Windows release is going to be full of bugs and problems. But looking back, some consumer versions ended their run worse than others. The only one I truly, vehemently dislike is Vista, and that's not just bandwagoning "oh vista is shit" - here's a story.

My former employer bought me a copy of Vista so that I could learn it and support it (Help Desk). I took it home, installed it, and started setting it up. Fully updated it, installed Visual Studios, all the updates, .NET Framework 3.5 - and it broke. My knowledge of OSs isn't deep enough to truly understand just what went wrong, but it basically ate the MBR. Even after recovering GRUB I wasn't able to get Vista to load again (though I did save my XP and Linux installs). Research on the issue indicated that the .NET Framework 3.5 was known to be incompatible with Windows Vista (nevermind that it was on the "recommended updates" list). After that, the entirety of my support for Vista came from reading Google searches.

So that's my gripe about Vista and why I'm leary to jump on a new version out of the box. Note that that was something like 2 years after Vista's release.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#38 lordofduct  Icon User is online

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:19 AM

He says of a machine he used GRUB to boot 3 different OS's with.

There could have been various reasons the MBR got "ate" in that type of a scenario.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• DLN-000

• View blog

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:05 AM

Well, as I said I don't truly understand what happened - but after installing the .NET Framework 3.5 on Vista, it crashed out (BSOD style) and when I rebooted and tried to load into windows, it crashed again, then couldn't find any OS at all.

All things considered, I think it's safe to assume that whatever happened was triggered by putting the Framework on Vista, since that was literally the only change I had made since booting. I had installed VS, rebooted, installed the Framework, and boom down it goes.

edit: also because the OS was lost - the partition was fubar and had to be reformatted, couldn't be accessed, no recognized file system on it - I point the finger to Vista once more.

This post has been edited by depricated: 14 December 2012 - 08:07 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:34 AM

View Postdepricated, on 14 December 2012 - 08:05 AM, said:

(BSOD style)

I still remember when I heard about that particular update. On Windows 8, there is no longer the old BSOD (Blue-Screen of Death), but instead, a BSOD (Black-Screen of Death)! Microsoft wanted to change things up I suppose. ^^

EDIT: This was all rumors and screenshots before actual release, I hold no statements as absolute truths.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by AnalyticLunatic: 14 December 2012 - 10:33 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#41 lordofduct  Icon User is online

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:35 AM

And yet you still admit your finger is naive.

Well at least there's that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#42 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:54 AM

View PostAnalyticLunatic, on 14 December 2012 - 09:34 AM, said:

View Postdepricated, on 14 December 2012 - 08:05 AM, said:

(BSOD style)

I still remember when I heard about that particular update. On Windows 8, there is no longer the old BSOD (Blue-Screen of Death), but instead, a BSOD (Black-Screen of Death)! Microsoft wanted to change things up I suppose. ^^/>

Posted Image

That's not even remotely true. Here's the Win8 BSOD:

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:57 AM

rofl, they are using emoticons in their error messages now?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#44 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:59 AM

Yeah, I guess they wanted to be like Chrome

Posted Image

But honestly, it's a lot less threatening than a screen full of jargon, and you still have the Error message, and you can always get to the minidump, so I think it's an overall positive change.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• DLN-000

• View blog

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:00 AM

HAL_INITIALIZATION_FAILED

Thank Cthulhu! Last thing we need is HAL taking over our computers when we install Windows 8
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (5 Pages)
  • +