• « First

68 Replies - 6547 Views - Last Post: 16 January 2013 - 02:08 PM

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: win 7 or win 8

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:13 AM

View PostCurtis Rutland, on 13 December 2012 - 03:53 PM, said:

3.1 wasn't an operating system, but if we're going to count it, you've also got to count the previous versions which weren't all that good.

Hmm... at the time of DOS land, it didn't suck. It is kind of a milestone. Most machines that ran it launched it with an autoexec.bat and users only saw the fears black screen during the boot process.

Windows 3.1 did a number of OS type things, particularly himem managment. However, if you wish be complain because it had an msdos.sys "kernel" then you'd need to apply the same criteria to Win95, 98, ME, and pretty much anything that didn't get NT incorporated.

Windows 95 was a huge jump from 3.1. Almost as huge as 7 to 8. There was a paradigm shift with that little bar at the bottom. People complained. The final version of Windows 98 is essentially a fully patched Windows 95.

The final version of XP is probably Microsoft's climax. They really got most of the stuff they were trying to do with 95 done and got NT core out to the masses.

Vista is a cluster fuck. Windows 7 is essentially fixed Vista.

Windows 8... suffers from bipolar disorder. It doesn't know which context, Window 7 desktop-ish or tablet-ish, it wants to commit to, so fails to excel at either. Worse, it's inconsistent across hardware, the ARM version being limited.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:29 AM

Junk HAL...I want Glados to take over my system when I install Win8. I think that would be awesome.

"Good morning {subject name here}, we're ready to begin your first round of testing. If you survive, your boss has scheduled a meeting at 1 pm in {subject home town here}, then you will be . . . missed and we will have cake."
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:37 AM

View PostCurtis Rutland, on 14 December 2012 - 08:54 AM, said:

View PostAnalyticLunatic, on 14 December 2012 - 09:34 AM, said:

View Postdepricated, on 14 December 2012 - 08:05 AM, said:

(BSOD style)

I still remember when I heard about that particular update. On Windows 8, there is no longer the old BSOD (Blue-Screen of Death), but instead, a BSOD (Black-Screen of Death)! Microsoft wanted to change things up I suppose. ^^

Posted Image

That's not even remotely true. Here's the Win8 BSOD:

Posted Image

My mistake. I didn't mean for that post to sound so factual, just what I observed from released screenshots and the rumor mill back before Windows 8 was ever released. Haven't gotten a chance to actually play with it yet, but then again, not really trying ^^

In any case I suppose Windows 8 is progress.

Spoiler

This post has been edited by AnalyticLunatic: 14 December 2012 - 10:38 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:40 PM

i'm still in 2 minds whether to upgrade to Windows 8 or not - i guess when its installed on my machine at work i will be able to make my mind up - first impressions it looks cool.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• THE PEN IS MIGHTIER
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:55 PM

I'm still wondering if people are going to go through so much trouble to make Windows 8 work and look like Windows 7, why not just use Windows 7? If you're going to upgrade your operating system, then commit to the upgrade. It's like buying a new car and replacing the new parts with parts from your old car. It'll feel familiar, but it won't work as intended.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:54 AM

View PostSkaggles, on 16 December 2012 - 01:55 PM, said:

I'm still wondering if people are going to go through so much trouble to make Windows 8 work and look like Windows 7, why not just use Windows 7? If you're going to upgrade your operating system, then commit to the upgrade. It's like buying a new car and replacing the new parts with parts from your old car. It'll feel familiar, but it won't work as intended.

I've known a few people that have upgraded and then complaint "I cant get it to look like Windows 7"

Firstly it is Windows 8 it's written on the package - If you want it to look like W7 then do not upgrade and avoid all the moaning.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:31 AM

You'll always hear moaning...I do have to get up and go to work in the mornings after all.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:19 AM

View Postmagius96, on 17 December 2012 - 10:31 AM, said:

You'll always hear moaning...I do have to get up and go to work in the mornings after all.

For now. Eventually all you'll need to do is put on your helmet or boot up the communication crystal. Then there will be other reasons to moan like your brainwaves getting scrambled or losing your sense of self in the crystal' light.

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:06 AM

I love the visual...wire up to the dish!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:18 AM

I prefer Win 7, I can play steam; MC; RS; and others on it. I heard you cannot play unauthorized games on Win 8.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#56 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:27 AM

Yeah, well people "hear" a lot of things. Win 8 has a desktop mode just like Win 7, and you can install anything you want. I use steam all the time, and it works. I don't know what you mean by "unauthorized", but I haven't had a single problem with any steam or non-steam game that I play. The only control MS uses is in it's METRO APPS. Not desktop ones. People need to get that straight and stop going by "what they've heard".
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#57 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:49 AM

don't know what you mean by "unauthorized",

Sounds like someone's been pirating games!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:04 AM

I've been testing win 8 for about a week now and I must say I got used to it pretty fast. The problem I see is that the METRO display is, well, for nothing... I actually use it only when I start my laptop. Most of the time I use the apps that I have put on my desktop bar so I don't need to go to the metro view just to start a program and then come back.
I;m gonna continue my test until I reach at least a month of usage an then I will debate if I should use it anymore.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#59 depricated  Icon User is online

• You and me had such wonderful times when I'm all by myself.

• View blog

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:03 AM

Just installed Windows 8 and. . . I'm really impressed.

I can see some initial confusion for people who don't have multiple monitors, since after install it goes straight to the start menu. You have to look for the Desktop icon to bring up the Desktop from there. But with multiple monitors it just loads the desktop right up on the others. The start menu takes one monitor at a time.

From a single-display standpoint I would probably be annoyed by the overbearing start menu. Whatever they're calling it. It's basically like an android desktop at that point.

Skype and Steam run flawlessly. I was surprised that it even already had the most up-to-date driver for my video card (Radeon HD 7970) because the latest is only 2 months old.

I'll be toying with it and give it a fair shake before deciding, but so far I'm impressed and inclined to keep it. We'll see how it handles surround gaming and development. I suspect I won't be disappointed.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:47 AM

View Postdepricated, on 21 December 2012 - 03:03 AM, said:

I'll be toying with it and give it a fair shake before deciding, but so far I'm impressed and inclined to keep it. We'll see how it handles surround gaming and development. I suspect I won't be disappointed.

Just be careful how much you shake it...those devices are known to lost whatever you drew upon them anytime you shake them.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • « First