4 Replies - 3276 Views - Last Post: 14 December 2012 - 09:22 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Start up or established company...?

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:26 PM

Hey guys!

I haven't been on in a while because I've been trying to find my first programming job, and lo and behold I get two offers within 24 hours!

A little background before I dive into the question. I am 25 years old with a BA not in Computer anything (Anthropology actually). At my last job I saw the need for a program and wrote and maintained (all on my own) a CRM program. I basically taught myself programming while I was building the program and realized that I really love it! So I decided to go find a job where I am solely devoted to software design (mobile > Desktop > web skills).

So here I am getting to pick my first job! The salaries are comparable and both seem like great teams that are willing to mentor me along while I adjust. I haven't delved into all the benefits packages, but I will tomorrow. For the sake of this question let's assume they are equal.

Here's the question:

Would you recommend joining a startup (relatively well established and a steady partner with Microsoft), or joining a well established company that is expanding its software engineering team?

I can't wait to hear some of your thoughts on this 'problem!'

Thanks,
Nick

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Start up or established company...?

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Re: Start up or established company...?

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:51 AM

First of all, welcome back. I am sure everyone was wondering where you were gone.

Second of all, if the 2 companies pay the same, and startup is not struggling, then if it was my choice i would go to the company that makes software that interests me. For some people, a tech company is a tech company and they dont care what product they are building but for me that is important.

Good luck in your new job.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:29 AM

"Expanding" the software team means there are people ahead of you on the promotion list. But it means there are experienced people to learn from.

"Building" a software team like the startup is doing may mean less compitition for moving up the ladder, but less experienced people to help you along. You sounds very much like a self-starter, so you may not need the hand-holding most rookies do.

Not only do I want to congratulate you on getting the job, but thanks for letting everyone else know that despite all the glum economic news headlines there are jobs out there in our career field. Its a nice ray of sunshine.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:35 AM

At your age, I would go with the startup. If it becomes something you are in a good position to be one of the people that got it going. That's a good financial place to be in, with little risk. if it fails, well, you are young, will gain versatile experience in the industry, & you'll find more work elsewhere.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:22 AM

Generally speaking a larger firm is more stable but you tend to get pigeonholed for what you do while a startup tends to be less secure but you tend to get a greater exposure to more things. In either position you could excel so it's really more about which one your gut tells you is the better job. Never discount the gut in these things. There are so many variables when considering competing job offers that you sometimes tend to overthink them.

If all other things are equal in terms of salary, benes and such...go with the one you "like" better.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1