3 Replies - 1384 Views - Last Post: 15 December 2012 - 09:58 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

How To Actually Go About Making A Game?

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:04 PM

So I know a little bit about C++ and I have been working with SDL, basically going through the tutorials on the Lazy Foo website. I can understand how certain things are working and such, but I don't really know how to go about and just start making a game.

So for example, I have an image that contains the person I want to put on the screen. So I put him on the screen and I can make him move around. Now lets say I'm making a platformer. Do I have to make images for each platform I want and specifically type the coordinates for each platform I want to place? Or is there an easier way of doing this?

I'm just not sure what to do. I mean I'm going through these tutorials, but I'm not sure how to take them all and implement them into one whole thing.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How To Actually Go About Making A Game?

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How To Actually Go About Making A Game?

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:30 PM

Two suggestions for you:

1) Google some game programming websites/forums and get reading up on this specialty.

2) Download some simple games that are similar to what you would like to do. They don't have to be very close, just in the ball park. Study that code, and as you run it, ask yourself "how'd the programmer do that? Then "how would you improve it?"

Get your game ideas juices really flowing, and get ready to solve some game design questions, as well.

Because before you can code up a game, you have to have a pretty good idea of the design you want your game to have. It seems a bit "2 steps forward and 1 step back", but design your game, first. Then ignore nearly all those nice display details, when you start to code - and get the core logic working right - what functions should it have, what data structures, what algorithms should it use, etc. PUT OFF WORKING WITH THE DETAILS at that early stage of coding.

THEN, after you have a basic compilable program with the right functions, data structures, logic, etc., that you want, NOW go in and add in all your details to your heart's content.

Compile as you go - never go 30 minutes without recompiling (every block of code is better), and do a quick preliminary test on each of your functions before you go on to writing the next one.

And of course, Have Fun! :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:14 PM

Awesome advice. In addition to this I would learn C++ properly first, or you will hit brick walls.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:58 AM

Start with something simple. Pong and tic-tac-toe were my first games.

You should real lazyfoo's articles on game states and game loops if you havent already.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1