6 Replies - 3395 Views - Last Post: 28 February 2013 - 08:58 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Need advice on tools for creating a certain type of website.

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:36 PM

Hi guys, I have a very specific site in mind, but I don't know how to approach the problem given that I don't have much experience with writing a website in general.

Basically, I want to write a site that offers a picture box, and you can choose a background that this box will have (these images will be provided). Then you can scroll through a list of pictures that you can drag and drop into the box in order to create an image, and these pictures will also be provided. After you are done, you can generate a link that you can share with people displaying exactly the picture you created.

Now such a site can serve any purpose, for example, I could have doodads for some sample GUI (text boxes, address bars, etc) and let users drag and drop them in this image box to create their own personalized ideal GUI and share it with someone. Now that's definitely not what I'm working on, but this is just a basic example.

So I was just wondering what tools are best be used. I know a bit of HTML, and I have in mind flash because of what I've seen from flash games. I'm not a huge fan of flash just from my limited experience, it has a rather cheap look and clunky interface, if flash games are anything to go by. But if that's the best solution I could try of course.

With regards to image storage, I already have that down. I'll use an SQL database and store each image as a series of numbers detailing background type, doodad_id, coordinates for location in image, etc. So an image can be stored as a bunch of numbers and then generated on the fly.

But yeah the question basically is, what would you say is the best tool/language for designing that front end interface? I realize that the answer to that will also most likely affect the choice of language I use for the more mid/back end side, but I'm open to suggestion there too. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Need advice on tools for creating a certain type of website.

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Need advice on tools for creating a certain type of website.

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:45 PM

This question should be moved to web development.

This list of images you speak of... are these images stored on the user's PC or images that are stored on the server (that associated with the user's account)?

HTML5 has native support for drag and drop, but you'd probably be better off using something like JQueryUI or Scriptaculous.

How is this site different from any other image hosting site out there?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:33 PM

Thanks a lot for the info.

As far as the images, the image lists that you can drag/drop from will contain images on the site itself, as are the images that the user creates. Whether or not logging in is required is something I still need to decide, if it is not, then the site might return a link as well as email that link (if an email is input) or something like that.

As far as the idea of the site goes, I think it's a good idea and did not see anything like it out there. The type of image I have in mind is pretty specific, and since your only options on what to create come from the site, maintaining this consistency should not be a problem. It's basically a way to communicate to others how you would arrange a specific type of thing, and this thing is relevant to many people.

Thanks again for the help :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:12 PM

Bump.

Alright, so I've written something of an SRS document for my site. It details what the site does, what events would take place, and I've also got a bunch of use cases all written up.

However I have no idea how the code should look like. It has a front end obviously which I'm assuming would be in HTML and Javascript if I use JQuery (I saw the drag and drop for that, it's smooth and I liked it), but I'm not sure what to use for the back end and database communication part.

I was thinking PHP, but I get negative feedback on that sometimes, people saying it's not very good for actual developing, or that it's prone to bugs.

Problem is I have no experience, and the idea I have is something of a picture creation application where you choose a background image and can drag/drop items into a provided window, rotate them, save the picture, generate link for sharing, etc.

Any recommendations for something that would be good for this, or more suggested frameworks/tips?

Thanks.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:09 AM

View Posthellotreasure, on 27 February 2013 - 09:12 PM, said:

Bump.

Alright, so I've written something of an SRS document for my site. It details what the site does, what events would take place, and I've also got a bunch of use cases all written up.

However I have no idea how the code should look like. It has a front end obviously which I'm assuming would be in HTML and Javascript if I use JQuery (I saw the drag and drop for that, it's smooth and I liked it), but I'm not sure what to use for the back end and database communication part.

I was thinking PHP, but I get negative feedback on that sometimes, people saying it's not very good for actual developing, or that it's prone to bugs.

Problem is I have no experience, and the idea I have is something of a picture creation application where you choose a background image and can drag/drop items into a provided window, rotate them, save the picture, generate link for sharing, etc.

Any recommendations for something that would be good for this, or more suggested frameworks/tips?

Thanks.

Hello there. I don't think you should throw away the idea of using PHP, it has a big community of many supporters, which means there is a lot of libraries available for image manipulation. I would suggest Laravel, which is a very light and easy to learn, yet powerful framework, which also gives you the opportunity to use external frameworks. You should look into GD for image manipulation. Another advantage of using PHPs great community is that, if you encounter any issues along the path, there are many friendly people who wants to help you.

Hope you can use it, anyway good luck with your project !
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:21 PM

As far as languages to teethe on and learn, PHP is the absolute worst. Rails is probably the easiest for what you're wanting to do, but at this stage you have to realize that you're not ready to build something yet without quite a bit more experience.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:58 PM

View PostLemur, on 28 February 2013 - 08:21 PM, said:

As far as languages to teethe on and learn, PHP is the absolute worst. Rails is probably the easiest for what you're wanting to do, but at this stage you have to realize that you're not ready to build something yet without quite a bit more experience.

I've used Perl before though, thought that was okay. Thing is I am a computer science major, so I've dabbled in programming for various languages, I can usually just pick them up and go with it.

I do realize though that a project of this scale is gonna be tough for someone with little to no experience in web development, but I don't have a deadline to meet or anything like that.

I hear a lot of good things about Ruby on Rails, I did consider that too but I didn't know if it would be good for this. Thanks for that info. Thing about PHP is that it's an industry standard, so I figured it'd be nice to do it in that, while Rails, I hear so much good about it, but it's not nearly as used from what I understand. Wonder if that'll cause any probs.

I also appreciate the reply GrooN, that is a good point about finding help.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1