2 Replies - 483 Views - Last Post: 16 December 2012 - 02:46 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

New guy, going to school in February 2013, maximum desire to learn.

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:54 PM

Howdy, I'm an American living in Australia, temporary resident, will become permanent within the next 2 years.

I will be attending the Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology for the Bachelor of Technology (Computing Studies) starting February 2013, because they're the only school that will accept me for anything close to CS here, without jumping through too many hoops.

I am a turbo-newb, which I just coined, right now, because I have read the first 6-8 chapters of probably every programming book ever.

I have been happy to be so, but am wanting to kick it up a notch and get ahead with life.

Anywho, here I am, ready to take a sponge bath of knowledge instead of licking the bottom of a freshly emptied tub.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: New guy, going to school in February 2013, maximum desire to learn.

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: New guy, going to school in February 2013, maximum desire to learn.

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:23 AM

Welcome...

I have read the first 6-8 chapters of probably every programming book ever.

This seems very tiring.. let alone a bit "half finished". Perhaps instead of reading the first half of every book you read the whole book and take the next book off? ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: New guy, going to school in February 2013, maximum desire to learn.

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:46 AM

I'm tryin'.

I figured since I just moved away to here I could commit to follow through.

Before I came here to Australia, I worked at IBM, lots of Microsoft Access for making reports and fine tuning said reports to produce better results.

I also did do quite a bit of automation work with it.

Sometimes I wish I knew nothing so I could start anew and learn my way through a book.

The two biggest problems for me are finding something that is interesting enough to keep my attention, yet not too hard for me to comprehend, a complete leaning path.

...And finding something free form to apply what I know and learn, "on-the-job", you know, to exercise the brain.

At IBM, there was enough interesting stuff to work with, the data sources, etc., but not enough time to try to learn anything new outside of what I absolutely needed, which I wasn't suppose to know how to do anyway.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1