The Hobbit.

• (4 Pages)
  • +

54 Replies - 5778 Views - Last Post: 19 December 2012 - 06:45 AM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Re: The Hobbit.

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:40 PM

I saw it twice, and honestly, I dont know what all the complaining is about. Picture quality aside, people complain that it starts slow... Hello? Its in the shire, of course its going to be slow paced. Hobbits are slow paced, hes not going to just be like "Oh sure, yeah Ill just randomly change my life long behavior for the sake of entertainment"

View Postsupersloth, on 17 December 2012 - 03:34 PM, said:

i don't have a problem with them making the hobbit into a movie, but i do have a problem with them modifying and adding shit to a 200 page children's story to turn out 9 hours worth of movie. 6 would have been MORE than plenty.

I think the third film isnt really going to be about the hobbit story, I think its going to be more or less something to bridge the gap between the hobbit and LOTR. Theres a lot of information that exists in appendices and stuff that would be really cool if it was put in film
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:45 PM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 18 December 2012 - 12:09 AM, said:

View Postlordofduct, on 17 December 2012 - 11:58 PM, said:

I was referencing imitation and originality because your criticism was that a film based on a book is not original.

Sorry I don't slam around obscure references like you do Mr. Kurosawa... I'm not all edumacated on the arts like you obviously are.

See this elitism of yours. This is what I was talking about in the first place. So thank you for being my example.

WTF? I like good movies and I like good books, and I like to talk about them. If you haven't seen Kurosawa, why don't you? There's nothing stopping you, and his movies are absolutely great, you'll love them. Try to see them on the big screen, though, if you can. The cinematography is awesome.

I've seen Akira Kurosawa's work...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#33 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:24 PM

Jackson's literalisms add nothing for a reader with imagination, because you were already there when you read the book.

Except for seeing a rendition of the Erebor.. visually.. erm... mah... gerb. I could watch an hour long show of just a fly through camera of that complex.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• The Watcher Outside Your Window

• View blog

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:32 PM

I dont mind books being made into movies as long as they have good acting and a good background score. I completely hated the Harry Potter movies 2-8 solely because of the acting. But what I really love is music and I can't get that in books. My imagination doesn't stretch that way.

I usually play music when I'm reading... Mozart, Brahms, Beethoven or Wagner. The reason I watch movies most of the times apart from for the story is for the more. That is where The Hobbit hit it for me. I have no idea who Kurosawa or what a Burger of Calais is, but I dont mind people converting my favourite books (and I have a LOT) as long as the music is good and the acting is believable.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:03 AM

I'm excited to see the movie(s), but a little disappointed that (from what you guys are saying) Jackson thought he needed to insert so much filler into the movies. I was a bit frustrated with the way the LOTR trilogy turned out, but I gave it a lot of leeway as far as missing content because those books, especially the Return of the King, would take several movies each to cover all of the content (however, they could have saved a lot of time if they would have cut some of the melodrama...). Nevertheless, I think it will be really cool to see this world from my childhood on the big screen (and I think I've heard plenty of confirmation that it is pretty sweet to see). After Narnia, The Hobbit was one of the first real books I read in elementary school, and led to many, many nights of sitting in bed with a dictionary reading LOTR. Hell, I loved the stories so much that I tried to read the Silmarillion, twice!

This post has been edited by h4nnib4l: 18 December 2012 - 06:03 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• or something bad...real bad.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:25 AM

Jon is trying to tell you that if you don't think it was genius then you're an unimaginative, dim-witted neanderthal. How dare your opinions differ!

This post has been edited by dorknexus: 18 December 2012 - 08:26 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:38 AM

I love that they are making three movies out of it. After seeing this first one, I hated having to leave this beautiful imaginary world I had been sucked into. I told my friends right after the movie ended that I could have sat there for six more hours and watched the other two with no complaints.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#38 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:43 AM

View Postdorknexus, on 18 December 2012 - 10:25 AM, said:

Jon is trying to tell you that if you don't think it was genius then you're an unimaginative, dim-witted neanderthal. How dare your opinions differ!

Can't tell if that was sarcasm or not. Hope so.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:51 AM

Not only am I supposed to think it's genius, but I am also only supposed to show interest in works of genius and nothing else.

I best stay in the lounge if that's the case... genius oozes from threads around here.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#40 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:54 AM

After seeing this first one, I hated having to leave this beautiful imaginary world I had been sucked into.

Hold it right there... we are not going down the road of the Avatar schmucks did. No 'post middle earth partum depression' shit. If you start feeling that way then try to choke down two of the Silmarillion and call me in four months... That should straighten you out.

Spoiler

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:57 AM

o_O

Let them off themselves, don't need them in the gene-pool.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#42 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:15 AM

View Postlordofduct, on 18 December 2012 - 10:51 AM, said:

Not only am I supposed to think it's genius, but I am also only supposed to show interest in works of genius and nothing else.

Uh huh. That's exactly what I said.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:35 AM

srsly dude are you like incapable of deciphering sarcasm? First you were questioning Dorknexus's sarcasm, and now mine...

Oh no, someone jabbed you for your elitist jab. Get over yourself.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#44 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:35 AM

Personally it's an issue of exclusivity.. I mean with all the kids now a days lacking the motivation to read it really stings when Hollywood decides to pull one of my niche loves on stage to be hooted at by the stinking and slobbering masses that seemingly pour forth from a pit in Stoney Brown's Encino backyard.

Shit.. I still have scars from indian-burns that I received for daring to mentioning dwarves and THAC0 in the hallways of school... but that was *MY* passion.

Now, after the LotR movies came out, everyone's dwarf this, Rivendale that, and thinks they are some damn expert in an area they were routinely giving swirlies a few years before.

I didn't survive the atomic wedgie raids to have the world flop and suddenly this area be vogue... screw that.. that pain is mine!

Posted Image

Heh.. I just wanted to dove tail on some of swirling haughty commentary and that post that image.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#45 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:48 AM

View Postlordofduct, on 18 December 2012 - 11:35 AM, said:

srsly dude are you like incapable of deciphering sarcasm? First you were questioning Dorknexus's sarcasm, and now mine...

Oh no, someone jabbed you for your elitist jab. Get over yourself.

Uh, what? Now I'm not sure what it is you're talking about. Pretty sure I don't care at this point.

Upshot: Peter Jackson's making another movie. Spoiler: the book is better.

Done.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (4 Pages)
  • +