• +

42 Replies - 7982 Views - Last Post: 26 December 2012 - 05:43 PM

#16 NeoTifa  Icon User is online

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: 2012 Year end review!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:21 PM

Got hired at an amazing job after being laid off for 6 months, got a new apartment, doing well. I'd say about 7ish.
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:43 PM

How did the year go for you?
reasonably well. had a good first programing job. finished first semester of college

Did you make any goals you set?
I finished first semester of college but I expected that. I wanted to get into a research group as an undergraduate assistant but didn't. I'll now being working in the CIS department as a lab assistant for a data structures and algorithms class. Hopefully I'll get to know the professors a bit more and can talk to them to show them I know more than my resume reflects.

What did you learn that was new or exciting in the programming world?
I suppose it was this year that I got into Haskell and really learned functional programing. I also delved deeper into the wired side of C++ with template meta programing. Learning C++11 has been fun. I haven't gotten a chance to work with the threading libraries any however :(/>

How about in the personal life?
Nothing good, nothing bad. Maid some new friends at school but that's about it.

How have you grown as a person?

not sure; I certainly hope so. I've learned a lot for sure.

What did you think was the most overrated game of the year? Under rated? .
football :P/> It's hyped up far too much.

Would you rank this a good year or bad?
I'll give it a 7; better than average but not amazing.

I'm also mad at my self for getting a low grade in an intro to computer science class simply becuase I stopped showing up and wasn't doing the work. That's probably the low point of this year for me.

This post has been edited by ishkabible: 17 December 2012 - 10:48 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#18 BenignDesign  Icon User is online

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:02 PM

View Postishkabible, on 18 December 2012 - 12:43 AM, said:

I'm also mad at my self for getting a low grade in an intro to computer science class simply becuase I stopped showing up and wasn't doing the work.

Kudos for owning it and not trying to pass the blame to a shitty prof or mysterious outside influence.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• The Watcher Outside Your Window

• View blog

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:56 PM

Pretty good. Got my first job, lost 25 pounds, made some really good friends, talked on the stage in an attempt to conquer my stage fear (almost succeeded). Didn't really play a lot of games this year, just Dishonored, Borderlands and Skyrim. On the programming front started working on jQuery and HTML5.

I would say +8.5

This post has been edited by strawhat89: 17 December 2012 - 11:57 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Perfectly Squared ;)
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:53 AM

Well, my year was certainly an eventful one. First of all...my graduation as an Information Science engineer,then getting an internship in a company,through which I got to know about DIC :)

Learning a lot of new things from the members at DIC...and the best part of DIC...answering questions for the members and seeing their happiness when they get the solution. :balloon:

Well,the downside to the year was that I hardly got to play any computer games...well, considering the fact that I was once upon a time a deadly sniper. :gunsmilie:

I'd say 8 on 10 :)

regards,
Raghav

This post has been edited by raghav.naganathan: 18 December 2012 - 01:11 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:23 AM

• How did the year go for you? - Was very quick year. Feels that 2 months ago was new years eve, watching flying rockets at sky.
  • Did you make any goals you set? - Umm...I don't remember.
  • What did you learn that was new or exciting in the programming world? - I decided to use C++ in game development. Tried SFML, quitted it quickly due forum atmosphere, got to know cocos2d-x game engine. Joined to DIC. Began to create one planned game idea from drawing to 3d-game.
  • How about in the personal life? - Nothing special. Single life is as good as before. Talked shit, talked turkey, with boys, girls and adults.
  • How have you grown as a person? - One year older, learned some new things and tricks. I decided to seek to university of applied sciences after graduating from vocational school.
  • What did you think was the most overrated game of the year? Under rated? - COD:s are definitely overrated!
  • Would you rank this a good year or bad? - There were good and bad moments.

This post has been edited by Vompaudi: 18 December 2012 - 03:26 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• GabehabeSwamp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:11 AM

POPULAR

Started freelancing, got laid, started several side projects (which I still need to finish but could eventually be profitable), went to quite a few awesome festivals, drank too much, went to Denmark twice, fell in a canal. (I think I was pissing at the time but no one was around to confirm this, so fortunately there is no evidence that I fell into my own piss)

All round: pretty good year for partying, and also added a little productivity in the middle.

Let's go with an 8.

This post has been edited by gabehabe: 18 December 2012 - 05:13 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 5
  • +
  • -

• The Watcher Outside Your Window

• View blog

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:26 AM

You got laid? Pics or GTFO.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• THE PEN IS MIGHTIER
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:39 AM

View Postgabehabe, on 18 December 2012 - 04:11 AM, said:

...got laid...

I was there.

How did the year go for you?
Advantageous!

Did you make any goals you set?
Too not die. Seriously. My new years resolution this year was to not die. Then again, Friday will bring the real answer to that one.

What did you learn that was new or exciting in the programming world?
I recovered my knowledge of C++. I toyed with the language a few years back, but I feel like I got a much firmer grip on it this time around. Lately, I've began to delve deep in to OpenGL.

How about in the personal life?
Personal life is something that hasn't been great. But that's not something for which I'm going to go in to details.

How have you grown as a person?
I'd like to think that I have. This year I started a job at a college and I made an attempt to be more social than my usual nod-and-keep-walking self. I met some really interesting people through DIC and work this year, and they added to me as a person more than I've done for myself. You guys are awesome.

What did you think was the most overrated game of the year? Under rated?
I really got in to Guild Wars 2. That was fun for a while, but then I realized there wasn't much of an end-game.

Would you rank this a good year or bad?
I would rank this year as an 8. I had some really great moments, and a few terrible ones. The good outweighs the bad this time. Of course, my favorite experience this year was hosting the DIC TV live web show. I can't express how great that was for me, but you know... I got busy with a job and such. I still have the webcam (and a much better PC) so maybe I can eek out a Christmas special or something.

[Addition] An old friend of mine (like 20 years back) recently came back in to my life and I've been hanging out a lot with him. We have a game night established every week, which has been awesome.

This post has been edited by Skaggles: 18 December 2012 - 05:47 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Derpicorn

• View blog

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:22 AM

•How did the year go for you? So-so. It had its up and downs, but more downs than ups. Spent 3 months unemployed, did skag contract work to get by, but finally got a job actually programming.
•Did you make any goals you set? I failed at a number of goals I set. Finally started programming professionally.

•What did you learn that was new or exciting in the programming world?New and exciting to me was actually grasping and not just having a book-understanding of, the value of design patterns. I've also got a few friends I can now talk to about stuff like this, and that's awesome.

•How about in the personal life?Sucks. Good: lost weight - Bad: started smoking again, got rejected the couple times I went after someone

•How have you grown as a person?I've grown less tolerant of religious bs from 'friends'

•What did you think was the most overrated game of the year? Under rated? .Most Overrated: Diablo 3 - Underrated: The Secret World

•Would you rank this a good year or bad? Neither. Better than some, worse than some.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#26 rgfirefly24  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:45 AM

How did the year go for you? For the most part it went very well. Had an Aunt, Uncle, and Cousin all die within a month of each other. Was finally able to pull my credit together enough to get approved for a home loan, but ended up getting a new job in a new city before finding a house.

Did you make any goals you set? I set out this year to build my skills to a mid-level and get away from the Junior level, which I was able to do. I still have yet to begin working out although I purchased a gym membership.

What did you learn that was new or exciting in the programming world? I learned a lot about MVC and why I hate WebForms. Started on Python, but haven't gotten far with it as I've mainly been focused on MVC.

How about in the personal life? Nothing of interest happened here.

What did you think was the most overrated game of the year? Diablo 3 by far. They could have easily taken it to another level especially since they've been holding onto it for so damn long.

Would you rank this a good year or bad? I would say my year ranked as a +8.9

This post has been edited by rgfirefly24: 18 December 2012 - 06:46 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#27 BenignDesign  Icon User is online

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:12 AM

POPULAR

View Postgabehabe, on 18 December 2012 - 07:11 AM, said:

got laid

Aww! Our little Danny has become a man woman adult gigalo deflowered.
Was This Post Helpful? 6
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:19 AM

POPULAR

View Postgabehabe, on 18 December 2012 - 05:11 AM, said:

got laid

i hope you made him wear a condom. safe sex is serious bizness, danny.
Was This Post Helpful? 5
  • +
  • -

#29 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:24 AM

View Postgabehabe, on 18 December 2012 - 07:11 AM, said:

got laid, started several side projects, started freelancing

Strictly speaking, I think this was the order of operations.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:27 AM

POPULAR

Unless of course the first was in payment of the freelancing.
Was This Post Helpful? 5
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +