42 Replies - 7880 Views - Last Post: 26 December 2012 - 05:43 PM

#31 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: 2012 Year end review!

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:06 AM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 17 December 2012 - 04:04 PM, said:

I look at every day as the start of a new year, a new set of choices, an open road opening out before me...

This year I've got a headache. -3

No headache today, which is nice.

How did 2012 go? Surprisingly quickly, which is not surprising. I feel like I was busier than I needed to be and got less done than I could have. Took on a lot of projects, more than I could really complete - this is usually a good thing, because it forces me to push harder than I would if my schedule were merely reasonable. Even so, I might have overdone it, didn't really complete as much as I'd like. So 2013 might be the year of project management for me.

Did you make any goals you set? I didn't really set any goals this year. I have some long-standing projects, which could be considered ongoing goals, and on that score it's one step forward, two back. I did learn some tunes, and I think I'm a decent flute player now, which is something I was really starting off with this time last year. (bringing the total instrument count to, um, many) On the other hand, I hardly did any brewing, my translation projects are all on hold, so there you go.

Did you learn anything new in programming? A fair bit. I think I can say I know python now. At the start of the year, I could write scripts in python, now I can think in python. There's a lot left to do, but that's a solid base. I got a grasp on Scala as well, but there I need to go from really raw beginner to intermediate.

How about in the personal life? met some new people, some of whom are awesome, and got to know some of the existing awesome people a little better. Mostly ignored the existence of other people, which is how I roll.

How have you grown as a person? Not much, honestly. I'm still about the same as ever. More so, maybe, or less, but any changes are changes in degree, not in kind.

What did you think was the most overrated game of the year? Under rated? Um... I don't know. What's a game?

Would you rank this a good year or bad? Not bad, in that nothing truly awful happened, but a lack of forward momentum means it could have been a lot better. +1
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:11 AM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 18 December 2012 - 10:06 AM, said:

What did you think was the most overrated game of the year? Under rated? Um... I don't know. What's a game?

I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE! You rock my socks, kiparsky. :w00t:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:45 PM

How did the year go for you?
Pretty well, I had an internship, got a full-time job, and am graduating at the end of next semester.

What did you learn that was new or exciting in the programming world?
Javascript File and Drag and Drop APIs, Perl, and I think that is it at this point.

Would you rank this a good year or bad?
Initially I was thinking a 2ish, but looking back it was probably closer to a 7.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:29 PM

• How did the year go for you?

Lots of bad. Some good. Apparently I am crazy, but was satisfied to discover that 'crazy' did not mean 'wrong', because the stuff I've said that sounds crazy isn't, even if the kool kids say I'm just spouting buzzwords between rants about religion.

• Did you make any goals you set?

I'm close to the big one. Missed a few others and accomplished a few less then I missed.

• What did you learn that was new or exciting in the programming world?

virtual machines, machine learning, random bits and pieces.

• How about in the personal life?

New Baby, disowned by (terrible bitch of a) mother-in-law, became a reclusive nocturnal socially caustic caffeine-powered workaholic.

• How have you grown as a person?

Shrunk, possibly, although unfortunately not my waist line. I think it will have been worth it, but it's shitty going for now.

• What did you think was the most overrated game of the year? Under rated?

(laughed) I haven't been able to play new games since 2005. I have no idea what games have even come out since then, except for the mildly depressing fuck-up remixes of original games I liked before they were the franchises that I've seen advertised on youtube.

That said, I'm impressed by what I've seen of the game "Wach Dogs" and will probably try to pick it up if circumstances permit.

• Would you rank this a good year or bad?

Overall negative, but not by a wide margin. Had to deal with a lot of shit, dealt with most of it successfully, but the unsuccessful dealings hit hard.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:02 PM

•How did the year go for you?
Lots and lots of bad with a sprinkling of good.I got a job after graduating(yaaay right?).Initially I was into dev but later I was shifted to testing.Its so boring.Workplace sucks.I tried to crack an exam to study m.tech-->missed it by 1 point.This is my fault but the change in domain isn't.Hell I topped in the training program.

•Did you make any goals you set?
Now I realise I had never set a goal!Stupid me.

•What did you learn that was new or exciting in the programming world?
Nothing much.Just know a little a bit of C#,ASP,Ajax that I didn't know last year.

•How about in the personal life?
Gone for a vacation.I hope it comes back before I die.

•How have you grown as a person?
As a programmer yes,but as a person I guess no.I am unsocial and I assume disliked by many.

•What did you think was the most overrated game of the year? Under rated?
Under-->The elder scrolls
Over--->hmmmm,tough one.Not actually overrated but not upto expectation Max Payne.

•Would you rank this a good year or bad?
Good or Bad.I prefer not to reflect.Hard work gone gone down the drain does not qualify as a sweet memory.

But I am an eternal optimist.Still hoping that around the curve lies the knowledge that I seek.

Merry Chirstmas and Happy New Year to all DICians.
May god bless you and your family.
Keep warm
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 December 2012 - 08:12 PM

View PostKilorn, on 17 December 2012 - 03:05 PM, said:

The first 5 months of this year were great for me, then things suddenly took a turn towards horrible. My father died twice this year in August and September due to severe COPD. They were able to revive him both times, but he'll never get any better and has a lot of trouble breathing. I guess the only good thing about it is that at least he's not stuck in a hospital. Things with my wife have been going very very bad for a few months now too, and she seems to be finished with our relationship so I've been crashing on the couch at a friends house for a couple of weeks now and I'm not sure if I'll ever get to return home. All things considered, I'd rate this year a -8. At least I did have a few great months this year before everything went sour.

2013 can't come fast enough for me. Hopefully things get MUCH better soon.

That's what I get for being hopeful. Well, instead of things getting better, this year went from a -8 to about a -50 in a very short period of time. I mentioned before that I had been staying with a friend while my marriage is dissolving, and I'm realizing more and more each day that there is no chance that she will ever want to be with me again.

As if dealing with all of that wasn't bad enough, my father passed away Sunday night. This time they weren't able to revive him and the great man that is one of the main reasons for me being the man I am today is gone, leaving a huge void in my family. I only hope I can be half the man he was.

I'll say it again: This year can't end fast enough.

This post has been edited by Kilorn: 25 December 2012 - 08:15 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 December 2012 - 08:29 PM

I'm sorry to hear that, Kilorn. :( There aren't enough virtual hugs in the universe...
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#38 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 December 2012 - 08:43 PM

@Kilorn - well shit man... my condolences.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#39 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 December 2012 - 08:45 PM

@Kilorn, if you ever need to blow off some steam, or vent, shoot me a pm.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:20 AM

My condolences Kilorn. I can't imagine your loss. Each moment with my family I wonder at a world without them, and I simply feel lost. May the New Year bring a brighter era into your life.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• ninja DIC
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 December 2012 - 08:13 AM

View PostKilorn, on 25 December 2012 - 07:12 PM, said:

That's what I get for being hopeful. Well, instead of things getting better, this year went from a -8 to about a -50 in a very short period of time. I mentioned before that I had been staying with a friend while my marriage is dissolving, and I'm realizing more and more each day that there is no chance that she will ever want to be with me again.

As if dealing with all of that wasn't bad enough, my father passed away Sunday night. This time they weren't able to revive him and the great man that is one of the main reasons for me being the man I am today is gone, leaving a huge void in my family. I only hope I can be half the man he was.

I'll say it again: This year can't end fast enough.

Have a bro hug buddy. I'll hope things get better as well.

How did the year go for you?
Overall, it went pretty well. I went from renting a condo to renting a house, which is SOO much nicer. Ended the year being much less depressed than I was most of the year, which is good. Learned a lot at work, which is good, but she has also kept me busy, and my girlfriend keeps finding grey hairs on me... I blamed my boss, told him he doesn't pay me enough for that :P

Did you make any goals you set?
I didn't really set any goals.

What did you learn that was new or exciting in the programming world?
Not a whole lot, to be honest. I am more of a SysAdmin than a programmer by trade, so most of my coding lately is bash (my boss doesn't like me scripting... O.o long story there )

How about in the personal life?
got a new girlfriend (my last breakup was kinda painful, so I think it's a good step in healing. But what do I know about relationships? :P ) Been a lot closer to some friends and family, and the year ended with us spending a lot of time together as a cohesive family unit, which is nice :)

How have you grown as a person?
Thicker skin. While I love the technical work of my job, it really is work just to put up with and interact with my co-workers and my manager. On the plus side, the new girl on our team tells me she thinks I am the calmest one on the team :D

What did you think was the most overrated game of the year? Under rated?
haven't played a whole lot of NEW games this year, except Borderlands 2, which is kick-ass and I played the shit out of

Would you rank this a good year or bad?
overall, it was better. I'd say a 3. Not amazing, lots of struggles, downs, etc. but it ended very positively, and I am hoping next year is better.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:40 PM

Thanks a lot for all the kind words, guys. Hopefully this tough period will pass and things will get better and I'll actually have some time to dedicate to the XNA section of this site again. I've been so busy dealing with the drama that I've been far too inactive around here lately and I feel like the XNA section has suffered because of it.

This post has been edited by Kilorn: 26 December 2012 - 05:42 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#43 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:43 PM

Man - that's understandable.. but know the forums will be here (well unless there's an update again) so you get your bigger prios in order buddy!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +