8 Replies - 1344 Views - Last Post: 19 December 2012 - 01:43 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Choice of College and Programming Languages

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:24 PM

I will be getting my associates in February for Computer Programming from University of Phoenix. I want to pursue a Bachelor's Degree but am not sure where I should continue my education at. I have decided I hate geometry so will not be looking into gaming development. I don't really like creating web sites so that is out as well. I do like creating a program from scratch and currently have one I created using Java for a video game I play. My knowledge is still very basic but I know a bit of Java and less of C++. Based on this, what language would be recommended for me to pursue? And should I base my choice of college on a specific programming language? I will have to do courses online and so far I have seen only C++ and Java offered primarily through online courses.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Choice of College and Programming Languages

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Choice of College and Programming Languages

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:44 PM

Languages come and they go. Some stick around for awhile like Java and C++. You should never really base your college career on the choice of language exclusively. You should be getting at the concepts... how to build software, patterns, common problems and solutions etc. Things that can be brought with you across languages. The goal is that when you graduate you can pick up a brand new language, learn some syntax and create a data structure that you did over in some other language.

Java and C++ are solid languages to learn on and can certainly help you flush out these theories. Many of today's other languages are based on the syntax introduced in these earlier languages. If you learn them well then you will have a solid foundation.

So instead of worrying about languages, try to dig deeper into the courses you are presented with and figure out what fundamentals they are teaching you and if those fit with where you want to go.

Good luck! :)

This post has been edited by Martyr2: 17 December 2012 - 05:45 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:49 PM

For a career what would I look at learning? I like creating programs but based on the languages I see most jobs want knowledge of, I don't know any of these languages and most schools don't offer them. What should I do for this? If I don't get the learning from school what should I do to get enough experience to get into this field?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:00 PM

Almost all computer science degrees and software engineering/information system degrees have a heavy component of programming in them. These are the degrees which will land you a job. All I am saying is that don't use the languages they teach as the deciding factor.

I have been a programmer developing in the education, travel, software and even kitchen appliance retail fields. The Java and C++ you are learning is where you need to start. Once you get the hang of those languages, the others come much easier and you can quickly expand into them to take on jobs you see.

But keep in mind that you are not restricted to just school. There was a time where I was learning C++ in school while I went home and was learning VB and PHP on my own. Look at the type of jobs you want, look at the requirements they are asking, and then make every effort to learn those. If they don't offer them in school (believe me they teach many of the principles in school) then learn them on your own. You will have to do a little bit supplementing while in school... guaranteed. Learn on your own what they don't teach you in school.

:)

This post has been edited by Martyr2: 17 December 2012 - 06:01 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:04 PM

So the degree gets me the job and the proof of knowledge of a specific language comes from where? Even if I learned the languages perfectly (no such thing as perfect), I would still need some kind of proof for my employer that I can do this language would I not? Basically I am trying to figure out what an employer is going to want proof of when I am applying for any programer position. Also need to figure out where to go for Java jobs but that's a whole nother topic.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:22 PM

Open Source development. Pick a language that looks like fun, learn it, and find a project to hammer away at that you support.

Learn Git, SVN, Mercurial, or one of several version control systems. Those os projects help a lot considering that's how updates are often times done.

What most employers want to know is if you're a programmed board churned out by a machine, or if you can actually think for yourself and learn on your own. If you prove that you have a serious leg up.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:17 AM

Does anyone know of a good starting point for beginner open source projects? I found codeplex.com but most projects want an experienced programmer. Any and all suggestions are appreciated. Thanks for the help so far.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:27 AM

There is no one 'good' starting point. We don't know what you like doing. The fact of the matter is you can't go wandering in to some open source project and expect people to accept you and allow you to make changes. It 'aint going to happen.

Instead you go on sites such as GitHub, Codeplex, Google code etc etc, find a project that you like the look of and clone the code they already have. Then you work on it yourself, adding features or fixing bugs. Then when you have actually done something useful, you send your code up to the project (differs depending on what hosting site you use) and see what they think of it. If it's good then they will accept your code and implement it. Keep doing this and who knows where you'll get.

But the fact of the matter is there are really no beginner open source projects out there. There would really be no point in it as I doubt anything would get done.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:43 PM

Currently I like creating programs with Java but I haven't seen too many jobs where Java is needed. I haven't done too much with C++, and haven't done anything with C# yet. I would like to delve into both of these and anything else that I can create a program with. I don't want to get into the website programming of javascript and things like that. I will start looking at these open source sites later today but if anyone has any quick ideas that'd be great.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1