3 Replies - 1072 Views - Last Post: 17 December 2012 - 09:39 PM

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

After Graduation

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:54 PM

It seems that I've entered a realm in which I lack experience. I've just managed to graduate with a CS degree, so the generic question is "now what?"

Door 1 - I currently have a job, one that has been quite kind to me, but I have my fears that there's limited progression if any. The rate is $16/hr with only 30 hours a week allowed. Being part time it does allow me a great deal of flexibility, which I'm currently leveraging to get in on an android development gig.

Door 2 - One of my good friends has informed me that his brothers employer, a well established investment company, is looking for a tech, as he can't keep up with their needs any more. I'm not sure the details, but I have an interview on Thursday to find out more about them.

Door 3 - I start looking for other jobs. I've developed a rather broad skillset from abundant reading, experimentation, and other such things. Granted it's borderline impossible to find anywhere interesting to work without connections, and living in Missouri about guarantees a need for relocation (which I have no qualms with.)

I'm aware this is a frequent question in some senses, but as I'd mentioned I have no skills in this arena in which I can leverage. Most if not all posts discuss getting a first job, but I have a years experience as a DevOp which I do NOT want overshadowed by being a recent grad. That almost seems like a handicap in some ways.

Here's the skillset I have to work with:
- 1 year experience as a DevOp
- Strong languages: Ruby, C#, VB
- Decent languages: Scheme, Racket, Java, Python
- Weak languages: CLisp, Haskell, R, Perl
- Strong OS: OpenBSD, FreeBSD, Redhat, Debian
- Decent OS: Windows, Solaris
- Weak OS: Mac

http://www.baweaver.com is more detailed, but I need to update it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: After Graduation

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: After Graduation

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:15 PM

I'm not one to say "quit a job you love" but there will probably come a point where you want more than what basically amounts to a part time job. I say apply away to companies that interest you! Since you're already employed, you have some leisure about researching companies and figuring out who you like.

There are lots of cool places you can move if you want to, and you don't have to limit yourself to Silicon Valley.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Perfectly Squared ;)
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:17 PM

Well, I would suggest you take the Door 2.

My reasons for you choosing that are as follows:

1. Since it is a well established company, the pay is gonna be pretty good, way more than your current job.
2. Since you already have the knowledge to be a tech, it would benefit you all the more in the company without the need to being trained.
3. You can offer to train individuals like interns by giving them small assignments to do while you work on your project.

So, here's wishing you all the very best for the interview on Thursday :) :rockon:

regards,
Raghav
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:39 PM

Then again, if any one here is looking for someone :whistling:

I care more about finding something interesting than anything else at this point. I want a challenge. I would not consider myself a Junior level, more of an Intermediate. Sans experience I fit in as a LISA/SAGE III in Administration: http://www.phys.ufl....scriptions.html

SAGE III

Intermediate/Advanced:

Required skills:

- Strong inter-personal and communication skills; capable of writing purchase justifications, training users in complex topics, making presentations to an internal audience, and interacting positively with upper management. Independent problem solving; self-direction.
- Is comfortable with most aspects of UNIX systems administration; for example, configuration of mail systems, system installation and configuration, printing systems, fundamentals of security, installing third-party software.
- A solid understanding of a UNIX-based operating system; understands paging and swapping, inter-process communication, devices and what device drivers do, file system concepts ("inode", "superblock").
- Familiarity with fundamental networking/distributed computing environment concepts; can configure NFS and NIS, can use nslookup or dig to check information in the DNS, understands basic routing concepts.
- Ability to write scripts in some administrative language (Tk, Perl, a shell).
- Ability to do minimal debugging and modification of C programs.

Required background:

Three to five years systems administration experience.

Desirable:

- A degree in computer science or a related field.
- Significant programming background in any applicable language.

Appropriate responsibilities:

- Receives general instructions for new responsibilities from supervisor.
- Administers a mid-sized site alone or assists in the administration of a larger site.
- Initiates some new responsibilities and helps to plan for the future of the site/network.
- Manages novice system administrators or operators. Evaluates and/or recommends purchases; has strong influence on purchasing process.

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1