8 Replies - 5159 Views - Last Post: 19 December 2012 - 05:28 AM

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Is learning Java Enough for IT Career?

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:28 PM

I am an IT student. I have had put up this question to one of my senior that whether merely learning Java and mastering over it, is enough for an IT career. I am bit confused to what other languages shall I learn parallel to Java. My senior told me that Master over Java, explore its core, it's enough for your career. But I want some more suggestions. Please let me know, what are the ways for an successful IT career.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Is learning Java Enough for IT Career?

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Is learning Java Enough for IT Career?

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:32 PM

I would say 'no java is not enough'. See.. languages are just tools to solve problems, right? IF you only have one screw driver in your tool belt you'll be lacking when you need a hammer. So while knowing java's great and you can have a career with it I doubt that is all you will ever need to know. A web language, some scripting, a database or two.. Be prepared to learn something as the situation calls.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:36 PM

I would say 'no java is not enough'. See.. languages are just tools to solve problems, right? IF you only have one screw driver in your tool belt you'll be lacking when you need a hammer. So while knowing java's great and you can have a career with it I doubt that is all you will ever need to know. A web language, some scripting, a database or two.. Be prepared to learn something as the situation calls.

Which language will you suggest I must take up after Java? Your suggestion will be deeply acknowledged.

Note: I know basics of C, C++, HTML, SQL, Javascript

This post has been edited by rishabhsharma: 18 December 2012 - 11:38 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:39 PM

I have no idea what *YOU* should take up. What interests you? What projects have you day dreamed about?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:43 PM

I have no idea what *YOU* should take up. What interests you? What projects have you day dreamed about?

OK to clear you...please suggest one language dedicated to :

Website Building :
Application Building:

I will see it....
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:45 PM

PHP.. and anything .NET.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:55 PM

Thank You.... :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:35 AM

My thoughts on this are that you will use a multitude of programing languages throughout your career. Languages are often similar and basic concepts remain the same. I find throughout my experiences that programming doesn't really change, merely syntax does. If you understand the concepts and logic, adapting languages isn't too hard. You will see lots of similarities between languages. Also learning scripting is pretty valuable in IT. If you can program you can probably script, just gotta learn the syntax. I have gone between languages whenever it calls for it. From PBasic on my Stamp micro-controller to Java for an applet. Whatever you need, you can pick it up.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:27 AM

Hi rishabhsharma

Being a professional Java EE programmer I'd have to agree with the comments that have already been made.

If you're looking to go down the application development route in Java (the job market for which, isn't huge), then I would suggest learning some C or even Assembly code. I wouldn't go very far into either, but just learn the basics of how programs use memory, and handle primitive datatypes differently. Then, when you move into your Java development you'll have a much more solid understanding of what your Java code is actually doing once it's compiled, and indeed how the complier works.

If you're looking to go down the Web Dev route (using Java as a server-side language to support a website), where the job market is bigger, then there are a multitude of languages you should have at least some exposure to.

In web dev, no matter what sever-side languages you are using, you'll normally need to know some SQL, and be able to use it at an intermediate decent level (joins etc).

Obviously you'll need CSS, HTML, and likely at least a basic grasp of Javascript.

As modi123_1 said, at this point it depends what area of web dev you want to go into. If your job is more design based, and the Java is only an addition for functionally, then you'll need to be better at CSS and Javascript won't be that important.

However, if like me, you go into a job where functionally and complex page validation and functions are required, then Javascript is an asset language you must have. Specifically, AJAX and HTTP knowledge is extremely useful.

TL;DR:

If doing desktop App development in Java, look into these:
Assembly code (only briefly)
C (only briefly)
How operating systems work generally
Swing (part of Java)
XML

If going into Web Application Dev, look into these:
HTML
CSS
Javascript
HTTP/REST model (http://tomayko.com/writings/rest-to-my-wife)
AJAX
XML

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1