2 Replies - 646 Views - Last Post: 19 December 2012 - 09:13 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Long time admirer taking the plunge. Oh, and hello!

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:49 AM

Hey all,

My name's Carl and here's a little bit about myself!

I've gone through secondary school, college and University on a business route - I studied Computing, Maths, Physics and Business at college and eventually went for the Business degree at University. Though I don't regret my choice, I do miss subjects where the answers are 'definitive' and the chance to be a little more creative (not to mention a love of maths - weird I know). My time studying computing at college wasn't spent as well as it should've been and we only barely scraped the surface of PASCAL over the course of two years.

I've been thinking of taking up programming for a long time, however I've only recently decided to take the plunge. The reason for this is my love of technology, and more specifically gaming. I've been a gaming aficionado since I had my Commodore 64 and love the industry, not just the games. I always harboured a passion to create me own game with a few other people and seeing a lot of indy success (as well as failure) has finally given me the kick up the arse.

After talking to a few people I've decided to focus on C++ as this seems to be the way forward (correct me if I'm wrong - I'm looking to eventually make console games with complexity, not throwaway flash games). I've purchased a few books such as Accelerated C++, Essential C++ Techniques and Programming: Principles and Practices which will hopefully give me a base knowledge from which to work from.

I'm not expecting miracles - I know C++ can take years to learn and you never really know all of it, but I'm willing to put the time in, however long it takes. This easily seemed the best place to get started with like-minds, even though I'm a total beginner. I'm really looking forward to this and hope you can all be patient with some of the ridiculous questions I will most likely post :)/>

A bit more about myself - I'm a managing consultant at a blue chip firm located in the UK. I work with charities, volunteer organisations and public sector bodies helping them with their issues, be it advertising, marketing, process reengineering, holding events, raising grass roots issues, creating a web portal etc. It's a bit of a 'Chandler' job, though I do enjoy it!

On a personal level, I'm 26 years old and my interests include playing the drums and guitar, going to gigs regularly, visiting the gym and playing in a badminton/squash league, hiking/climbing, gaming/technology (diehard Nintendo fanboy) and a ton of reading (fact and fiction - mostly fiction). I also love sprucing up my PC on a fairly regular basis and am quite the social person.

Anyway, if you took the time to read that essay, thank you, and I hope I can contribute in any way I can.

Glad to be here!

Carl

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Long time admirer taking the plunge. Oh, and hello!

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Long time admirer taking the plunge. Oh, and hello!

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:11 AM

Welcome! The tutorial section has great ideas for all your topics you mentioned.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Long time admirer taking the plunge. Oh, and hello!

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:13 AM

Thanks modi - I'll make that my first port of call!

Carl
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1