4 Replies - 4822 Views - Last Post: 24 December 2012 - 01:51 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Good News! Also, advice/opinions needed

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:52 PM

Good news! :D I just got offered an interview at Manchester University for a Software Engineering Course and I felt the need to announce it to the programming world!

Phew, glad I got that excitement off my chest xD. Regarding the course, it has an A-Level requirement of AAB, and I'm predicted an A*,B,B,B for the end of this year (with the A* in computing). However, although I'm relatively confident I'll get the B in Maths and Physics, it's definitely possible I may fall short on the day. So to try and make sure I get accepted, even if I perhaps fall slightly short on the entry requirements, I really want to ace this interview.

I plan to create a portfolio of my work that I can take with me to my interview to try and impress them. I'm thinking of putting together all the algorithms worth their salt that I've coded and will have coded by March, and then analysing/evaluating them based on performance/usability/where I've used them/how efficient etc. and then finishing off with my A2 Computing Project fully evaluated as the centrepiece for my portfolio.

What I want to ask is if any of you guys have any ideas for things I could include in my portfolio, or if by experience there's anything you can advise me with regarding the interview itself such as it's content/what they expect etc.

Thanks loads in advance,
Sam :)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: Good News! Also, advice/opinions needed

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Good News! Also, advice/opinions needed

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:34 PM

congrats. I'd put something unique and fun in my portfolio. Like if you've ever done any projects that you're particularly proud of and that you didn't think you'd be able to do but somehow completed them. Good luck to you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:53 AM

Ah that's a really good idea thanks :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:00 AM

Why do you need interviewed to take a course?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:51 PM

More prestigious Universities often invite candidates to interviews before they accept people onto the course Daren :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1