your life?

• (3 Pages)
  • +

35 Replies - 2607 Views - Last Post: 04 January 2013 - 02:07 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

your life?

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:41 AM

How is the life of a programmer in real? (I know it's not like what YouTube videos say)
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: your life?

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: your life?

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:57 AM

POPULAR

It can be tough at times. I think we have all gone through the long nights trying to crack that tough problem only to give up until morning and then realize we had an index counter variable off by 1. We can slam our heads against problems every day... but once you solve it you are on cloud nine. Sometimes it is almost like an addiction trying to get your fix.

There are always problems to solve and when you are done with one it is off to the next. But in the end you can create solutions that help a few people or millions of people. I have had solutions that probably costed me my time but I have had solutions which made companies millions of dollars.

The one thing you have to remember is that even though others may see you as disposable or not truly understand what you do, they do need people like us. You will have your glory moments, but most of us go through our jobs as unsung heroes. It pays well and we can make life easier for others. That is our true reward.

:)
Was This Post Helpful? 15
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:17 PM

Martyr2 summed it up pretty good. It is just like any other thing you do it. If you like doing it then it is fun and if you don't then it is painful. Liking or loving programming gets you through those tough times when you just want bang your head on the wall and quit. Nothing feels as good as solving a tough problem or finally getting a project finished.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#4 andrewsw  Icon User is online

• Fire giant boob nipple gun!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:45 PM

On this topic, I'm just curious: Are most programmers assigned specific tasks within a larger project? Or is their role generally much wider?

I appreciate that the answer depends on the specific project.. but, in general terms?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Dic Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:49 PM

I went out for breakfast this morning.

** Edit **

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:56 PM

I bought groceries today.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:33 PM

View Postandrewsw, on 23 December 2012 - 02:45 PM, said:

On this topic, I'm just curious: Are most programmers assigned specific tasks within a larger project? Or is their role generally much wider?

I appreciate that the answer depends on the specific project.. but, in general terms?

Generally it is wider. You see, many companies see programmers as "computer people" so they often hire programmers and then turn around and expect you to also be a Database Admin, sometimes a networker... "Martyr martyr, we lost our internet access, please help!" and sometimes they just assume you know every programming language under the sun. Heck, I even get asked to be tech support from time to time.

Never expect to work just as a programmer on every project. That would be the life... but it just isn't reality. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:08 PM

... and there's this thread.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:14 PM

View PostMartyr2, on 23 December 2012 - 05:57 PM, said:

It can be tough at times.

Especially when you're stuck in a dark, wet, basement cranking out code for Chris with nothing more than moderators to eat...
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• Pythoneer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:41 AM

One issue I ran into a lot was location. When I first graduated, I didn't want to move too far away from my friends and family. Unfortunately, the job market in my area is extremely rough. Sometimes smaller companies will go under, sometimes larger companies will outsource, sometimes companies will make bad decisions and use their programmers as scapegoats. It can be a difficult cut-throat world. Don't let the media's promise of cushy salaries and high demand fool you, this can be a very difficult career path.

Friends of mine out west and in DC have had far less problems with this kind of stuff, so you may want to make sure you pick a place with a high demand for talent.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 December 2012 - 07:59 AM

Interesting read guys, thanks for all the information. As you can see im new here and it's great how everyone in DIC want to help eachother out.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 December 2012 - 04:25 PM

View Postishkabible, on 23 December 2012 - 08:14 PM, said:

View PostMartyr2, on 23 December 2012 - 05:57 PM, said:

It can be tough at times.

Especially when you're stuck in a dark, wet, basement cranking out code for Chris with nothing more than moderators to eat...

Most definitely! You know what he got me for xmas? One of my two front teeth. The bastard didn't even give me both! So I now hang it on a string of dental floss to wear as a necklace. It reminds me of the days where I worked as a free programmer for up and coming software companies. I can remember it now... the summer breeze, dancing around in the office and even went to an office party once.

:D
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• Tired.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:18 PM

Yeah, programming is great in my opinion - it's the deadlines that suck because they make people stress out and make finding that missing semicolon all the harder. But Martyr's first post is spot on. Nothing like banging your head against the wall and finally getting it to work.

I agree to that most places expect broad programming capabilities, I had a copy writer tell me that I should know ASP by default because I know PHP. I checked out a french book, and then asked her to read it. She said she couldn't, I replied, "You should be able to read it because you know English." They're called languages for a reason. But you really should do it because you enjoy it, at the end of the day.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:35 AM

View Postgregwhitworth, on 27 December 2012 - 06:18 PM, said:

I agree to that most places expect broad programming capabilities, I had a copy writer tell me that I should know ASP by default because I know PHP. I checked out a french book, and then asked her to read it. She said she couldn't, I replied, "You should be able to read it because you know English." They're called languages for a reason.

Oh snap! ^^
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Catch me As Exception
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:27 AM

View PostMartyr2, on 23 December 2012 - 11:27 PM, said:

We can slam our heads against problems every day... but once you solve it you are on cloud nine.

I had one of those moments just today! :D It really is a good feeling.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +