7 Replies - 1403 Views - Last Post: 05 February 2013 - 05:43 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

computer Programing

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:07 AM

I know c, c++, and c# basics and wanna become an expert in programming.
will any one please tell me that which language will be best for creating different softwares or for programming specialization????

thanks.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: computer Programing

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: computer Programing

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:31 AM

I've moved this to the Software Development forum. Please try to post your questions in the most appropriate forums.

As to your question, there are a lot of different specialities. Why don't you tell us which type of programming you are interested in, and we can suggest languages you could use for that.

Generally speaking, C and C++ are lower-level languages that are ideal for programms that require high performance, like games. C# and Java are typically used for desktop form applications, although both can be used in various other areas, like web and mobile development. Web development is always done using HTML/CSS and Javascript, with server-side languages like PHP, ASP.NET (C# or VB.NET), Python, Java, Javascript (Node.js), etc... And mobile development is done based on which device you are targetting: Java for Android, Objective-C for iOS, .NET for Windows Phone (I believe), although there are also languages (or frameworks) built to abstract mobile development into a single language that can generate code for all the popular devices.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:44 AM

I am interested in programing a lot and I know I can do any thing. But the problem is that I am not able to decide that which area of programming should I select and which language should be focused.

That's why I need a true guide line...

Thanks
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Critical Section
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 December 2012 - 08:01 AM

As Atli pointed out, the language of programming depends on the target which you plan to specialize in. But the first thing to do is to understand programming methodologies and concepts. After that you can take as many languages as you want.....
For example after finishing the foundation of programming, you can see where you want to go. Either working with web applications, mobile applications, server administration scripting or desktop applications and others.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:59 AM

Of the three you've mentioned, I think C++ is the best option. However, a programmer needs to keep up with times and learn the latest in the industry. Computer programming is a constant learning process. Its not possible to learn just once and then go on forever with that. Sooner or later it gets outdated. So I think the most recent is java, PHP and .NET Try to focus on these
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:10 PM

If you want to be an expert, realize first and foremost that it will not happen overnight. It will not happen in a week. It will not happen in a year. It may not even happen in your lifetime.

The real question on expertise is passion. How much to you want it? What are you willing to do for it? Why do you want to do it? You have to find the drive within yourself to motivate you through no matter how bad it gets because it's not all sunshine and daisies in programming land.

Now if you really want to learn, first focus on Math. Get up to at least Discrete and Combinetrics. This course will take you through everything, but it was taught by some of the greatest at MIT and other universities so be warned it's not easy: http://archive.org/details/arsdigita

If you can make it through that you'll have a lot of the know-how of programming. Good. Forget all of it. You're not allowed to touch code, or think about it. Rather abrupt? Welcome to the first distinction between expertise and coding: planning.

Planning is the key difference that will put you in a position to truly learn. Remain language agnostic, plan and analyze things without thinking about what languages because that's the wrong question to ask. You want to focus on what the problem is that you're trying to solve, and why it's even a problem.

Too often a junior will get excited and hit the compiler hard just to figure out they have no direction and no idea of where to go. They have a lot of random code and not a thing to show for it. This is why seniors harp so much on planning and charting things out, because one hour of planning is equal to at least five in coding.

Know when to code, know when to plan, and know when something is not really an issue. When you get a new hammer, everything looks like a nail. The more you can control that impulse and take your time, the more success you will have.

Good luck mate.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:50 AM

I agree with the above poster. Focus on learning mathematics and the core concepts of programming. Here is a good example: I started out by learning Java in school along with many object oriented concepts; from this knowledge, I was able to transition to coding C++ rather quickly. While there were many nuances I had to learn, such as manual memory management, the core concepts allowed me to jump in much more quickly. The same has been true for me as I am now working on an Objective-C based game.

1. Focus on the concepts of mathematics and object oriented design.

2. Honestly, it wouldn't hurt to learn some core concepts of memory management beforehand as well.

3. Then move towards specific languages that tickle your fancy. Remember to try many different ones out, and keep an open mind about it. In industry, you will often be asked to work with an unknown technology to you, so adaptability is an important skill to learn.

Most texts that teach OOD use a language to do so, so you will most likely pick that one up along the way, but the important part to focus on is the concepts that are shared among many object oriented languages such as: C++, C#, Objective-C, Java, Smalltalk...

Good luck!

This post has been edited by raspinudo: 22 January 2013 - 10:54 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:43 AM

In my opinion Java is a good programming language to learn.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1