4 Replies - 497 Views - Last Post: 31 December 2012 - 08:59 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Curiosity of a Newbie

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:19 AM

what programming language do i need to use to make a program where you can add, view, delete, and search the records?

The options are :
add
view
delete
search

and its clickable, that when you click 'view' for example another window will display something like this...

Name : Age : Sex : Address :

name1 age1 sex2 address1

name2 age2 sex2 address2

name3 age3 sex3 address3

name4 age4 sex4 address4

. . . .
. . . .
. . . .
. . . .
nameN ageN sexN addressN

if i use GUI is it okay? and do i need to make a database or something where i can store records? how to make it a executable program that i can open it without the programming language i used? and is it possible to program this?

I'm just curious and I'm new to programming also, please be patient.

i will appreciate any help, suggestions, or corrections, And thanks in advance..

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Curiosity of a Newbie

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Curiosity of a Newbie

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:40 AM

what programming language do i need to use to make a program where you can add, view, delete, and search the records?
Any programming language is capable of this. In fact, those four actions make up most of what all programs do, one way or the other. - Judging by the fact that you are posting this in a Python forum, I'm guessing that is the language you want to do this in?

if i use GUI is it okay?
What else would you use? Unless you're going for a command line interface, you're pretty much forced to use some form of GUI.

and do i need to make a database or something where i can store records?
If you want the records to persist, then yes. You'll need a database of some sort, whether it's just stroed in a file (XML, CSV, JSON, etc...) or in a more powerful database server depends on the type of application.

how to make it a executable program that i can open it without the programming language i used?
You'll need a compiled language for that, like C++. Python is an interpreted language, which means you need the Python interpeter installed to execute Python programs. Same goes for languages like Java and C#, which require their respective runtimes to be installed.

and is it possible to program this?
Of course. You just need to look at pretty much any program installed on your computer to find the answer to this question. - Whether you can program this is another matter, depending on how much you know about programming.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:04 PM

I'm more familiar with java, so what programs do i need to make this? (ex. netbeans for programming, how about for database, and to make it executble if i use java).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:33 AM

Someone move this to the Java forum?

Anyway, yeah, you can write your code in Netbeans, or in any other IDE or editor. As for the database, there are probably lots of libraries out there. In high school, my teacher wanted us to use some ancient, undocumented, horrible sqlite library that he couldn't even figure out himself.There's a thing called SQLJet floating around on the internet - anyone knows if it's any good?

Now, in order to use a database, you'll need to learn some basic SQL - however, it doesn't look like you'll need anything complicated. This tutorial looks okay, haven't read through all of it though. It may or may not be better than the one at W3schools.

To make a java program executable, you compile it and pack it into a .jar file. Netbeans can probably take care of that for you.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Pythoneer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:59 AM

This definitely doesn't belong in the Python Section and because he later mentioned Java, I'm moving this to Java rather than a more general programming language forum.

This post has been edited by atraub: 31 December 2012 - 09:00 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1