4 Replies - 195 Views - Last Post: 26 December 2012 - 12:38 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

chat theory question

Posted 26 December 2012 - 08:02 AM

Hello all,
I am writing a game that is using a server to allow multi-use. another feature I want to add to the game is a chat area, but my question is, should I set this up as a seperate server than that of the game and its requests? or should I just send the chat requests in with the game server as well?

My question stems from not wanting to overload the server with requests, and in theory, if the game has like 50 people all on, and they are also chatting, would using 1 server to handle it all possibly be too much??

Thanks for any advise on this. I know that without hard testing there is no way of knowing if the server can handle such things, but I am just hoping as a theory you all could steer me in the right direction.

Thank you,
Bob

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: chat theory question

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: chat theory question

Posted 26 December 2012 - 08:37 AM

A game like Heroes of Newerth has a separate chat server for when users are in the lobby/not in a match
When the users are in a match, the in-game messages are sent to and from the server hosting the match. Whispers and other private messages are still handled by the chat server
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 December 2012 - 08:41 AM

Thank you, I am not really familiar with that game but I assume it handles more than like 50 or so users at a time, so you think that in game messages should be ok with the same server??
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 December 2012 - 08:41 AM

That depends a lot on the hardware. If you're running the whole thing of an old, unusued laptop, then yes you might well be overloading it. But if it's runnin of a state-of-the-art server platform, then it may well be able to handle a lot more than that. It also depends on the software, and how demanding each request is. There is really no good way for us to tell you exactly how much load this will put on your hardware without some benchmarking.

However, you can make this a non-issue by setting it up properly. For instance, if you set the main game client and the chat client up to connect to different domains (or sub-domains), you can configure the DNS server up to use the same server machine. Then, if the chat is putting to much strain on that one machine, you can move it onto a different machine and update the DNS record to point there instead. The chat clients would never even notice the change.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• There is nothing you can't do with a JTable
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:38 PM

Actually, if your stuff is well designed, you should be able to switch from one configutation to another one in a few seconds. You can even have a config file that specifies which configuration to start.

Personnaly, I would keep everything together.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1