Wanting to make a inventory list. Where to start?

• (2 Pages)
  • +

18 Replies - 5134 Views - Last Post: 15 January 2013 - 12:07 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Wanting to make a inventory list. Where to start?

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:59 PM

OK so, I have been doing side work(basic computer repair stuff) and have a sizable collection of parts.
I want to make a inventory of the stuff I have. Very specific part info. For instance, if I had 5 cpu's I would have make, model, speed, bus, and product specific part number for each.

I am wondering if I would have to make a database list for each part(cpu, ram, power supply, etc...)??? Could get extensive.
I was planning on using VB, simply because I took 1 class a year ago, and have at least gotten started on it. Does this kind of project seem to much for VB? Should I look into another program?
I am not trying to make anything professional, or super elaborate. Really, just get the base program running, then(with help/guidance) up grade it slowly and surly...

All I have is some of the user interface buttons, labels, etc... so far.. Not much at all really.

Guidance and opinions is what I am asking help on,
~Junior

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Wanting to make a inventory list. Where to start?

• The Peasant
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Wanting to make a inventory list. Where to start?

Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:11 PM

Definitely not, this is where VB.Net shines. I've built various inventory management systems using VB.Net. I've been involved in the Car parts business for a while, as well as car repair so we have to keep track of all our inventory at all times and this is the language I did it in.

You'll want to pick what kind of Database you want, I'd say the easiest to get started with is probably just regular Microsoft SQL but there are others even variations of SQL like MySQL, as well as differing databases over all like Oracle, Access, etc. We have various tutorials here demonstrating how to read, and write to a SQL database. Just let me know where you're starting and I can answer all the questions you have!

This post has been edited by trevster344: 26 December 2012 - 01:29 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Friend lucky3 As IHelpable
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:12 PM

Depends on what you expect from "the list". Perhaps Excel or Access file would do it for you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:23 PM

Trevster and lucky

Thanks for responding so fast!
I remember my instructor saying for simple things, Access would be the easiest to read, write, search, and edit. Though, we never learned that in the class, it was considered part of the, "Advanced VB course".

Would I have one Access file per computer component or department? Thanks,
~Junior
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 December 2012 - 02:14 PM

OK, I found a tutorial, seems informative.
Had to reword my search

OK, I am likely to take you up on your offer trevster..You have been warned!!! :hehe:/>

~Junior
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Peasant
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 December 2012 - 02:42 PM

Many others will agree when I say access is a pain in the ass.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:19 PM

OK, so you recommend SQL.
Which version?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Peasant
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:29 PM

use SQL server 2012.

use SQL server 2012.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:50 PM

Could I get away with the SQL Server Express?? Or is that the same thing?

~Junior
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Peasant
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:23 PM

Yea but you should be able to get SQL server 2012 R2.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:01 AM

OK. I am wanting to do this on the cheap. Which is why I am leaning towards express.
Now when I search the Microsoft website, it only comes up with with server 2012, or server 2008 R2.

So my new question is, what is the difference between the three(Server 2012,Server 2012 Express, Server 2008 R2)?? I feel that the obvious difference would be that the two year differences would have more/different built in library's.
Being that I have never made a inventory list before, I ASSUME that the 10Gb of storage on each DB(granted I think I might be having a TON of different DB's) that should be MORE then enough room... I would think.

Not that I am going against you leadership, but just trying to understand. Thanks SOO much for the help!! :bananaman:/>
~Junior

OK. I am wanting to do this on the cheap. Which is why I am leaning towards express.
Now when I search the Microsoft website, it only comes up with with server 2012, or server 2008 R2.

So my new question is, what is the difference between the three(Server 2012,Server 2012 Express, Server 2008 R2)?? I feel that the obvious difference would be that the two year differences would have more/different built in library's.
Being that I have never made a inventory list before, I ASSUME that the 10Gb of storage on each DB(granted I think I might be having a TON of different DB's) that should be MORE then enough room... I would think.

Not that I am going against you leadership, but just trying to understand. Thanks SOO much for the help!! :bananaman:/>
~Junior
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Peasant
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:16 AM

That's definitely more room than you'll need, and you can have multiple database files with their own tables, functions, definitions, as well as grab information from both, index them, and copy from them to create a new database. You shouldn't have to do a lot of that though till later and I highly doubt you'll be managing enough information for that to be the only solution later on. Any who the obvious differences are features, performance speeds, but I always look at reliability. From 2008 to 2012 I've gone from a little complexity in usage on multiple servers to hardly any hiccups, complete ease of usage, and profound reliability that has been running smoothly for a while now. Express is just fine, you can do a lot with express. SQL Server is a Commercial Grade database software though so you have to think of it on a grand scale. Say you're a business owner, you've got over 100,000 active customers buying from you, and you sell over 160,000 different products. Speed is extremely important, reliability quite important, features that allow manipulation of the database before you read it is also important, the ability to adapt your database via functions and such to your own tastes, are important.

Not at all, I get what you're asking, and they are understandably very good questions.

This post has been edited by trevster344: 27 December 2012 - 10:21 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:54 AM

OOOOHhhhhh.... OK, awesome, awesome...
I am totally for the reliability over anything else also. I will gladly put in more effort for that long term relaxation period.

Hitting the nail on the head their. I am going to use Express. My needs are small and simple. And I don't feel I need to spend money on something for what I am doing.

OK, so it will be VB express and SQL server express. Now I have been going through a few pages of how to's, but my searches have not come up with a VB.net and SQL Tutorial(s), so are their other tutorials I should be looking into to make the two work together?

~Junior
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Peasant
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:33 AM

Yessir we have tutorials here for SQL and VB.NET. Otherwise when I get home ill show you some general stuff for reading, writing, sending parameterized queries, etc. you'll be using the System.Data.SQLClient namespace.

This post has been edited by trevster344: 27 December 2012 - 11:33 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:13 PM

OK, turns out I am going to have to do SQL Express 2008, just because my computer is still based on windows XP sp3. If I had windows 7, then I wouldn't have an issue. However, I do have that issue.

Also, one other thing I wanted to ask about. Could I make the program, and leave it on my network server so I can use either my Desktop or Laptop? Would make my life a little easier, so I can update/add where the cabinets are at, not got going back and forth from the cabinets to the Desktop.

~Junior
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +