3 Replies - 1719 Views - Last Post: 17 July 2007 - 02:16 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Site game(similiar to neopets,aftermathzone)

Post icon  Posted 16 July 2007 - 06:16 PM

ok, im pretty much a novice at web design, but i would like to create a site based game similar to the two i mentioned in the title(the second one is dead and wont be back for a long.... time)

Since this is a mix between game develpment and web design i figured that this would be the best place for it, i've created a few websites(mostly using freewebs and the likes) and i own macromedia Dreamweaver. I also have some experience in game design using a program called gamemaker

so i know a little bit of programming and im currently attending a flash game design class, so im learning more programming(and flash is better then exes for websites anyways)

I currently have no code but what i would like to know is what languages do i need to know besides HTML in order to start up a website like the ones mentioned above.

This post has been edited by monkey4sale: 16 July 2007 - 07:33 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Site game(similiar to neopets,aftermathzone)

• Barbarbar
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Site game(similiar to neopets,aftermathzone)

Posted 17 July 2007 - 01:00 AM

You'll need to learn how to use a database system like MySQL if you want to store player information, along with a server-side language like Perl, PHP, ASP, etc. to interact with your database for you.

If you aren't planning on storing any stats for players that aren't local to their computer, you could just use Shared Objects, which are like Flash's version of cookies(and mean you won't need to learn any more languages).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 July 2007 - 05:12 AM

yes but a client side saving wold be very insecure, wouldn't it? I know that i would shortly realize this and quickly go in and edit my stats, oh well i guss for a starting point it isnt bad.

alright, thanks
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Barbarbar
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 July 2007 - 02:16 PM

It's true that client-side saves won't be 100% secure, but it will be easier. And if you aren't planning on having the players interact with each other at all, where's the harm? A player could have 1000000 lives, but they would be the only one who did. They wouldn't affect anyone else's game but their own.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1