Challenges Forum

Page 1 of 1

3 Replies - 1271 Views - Last Post: 27 December 2012 - 01:17 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Challenges Forum

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:53 AM

Hi. I posted a challenge in the C/C++ Challenges forum. It didn't show. I figured it must require that a member has at least 10 posts before creating a new topic? But then I found my topic in the Gimme Te Codez with a response that about it being homework.

http://www.dreaminco...ichael-numbers/

It wasn't a homework question. Last semester ended at my school on December 14, and next semester doesn't start for me until January 22. I don't think any College student in my entire state is likely to have homework a few days after Christmas. Over the break I've been doing the exercises from the "Structure and Interpretation Of Computer Programs" . I thought the Fermat test was interesting enough that I decided to write a challenge so that others could learn about it. My challenge is also trivial and I would not need help solving it myself.

But this made me think about how I could post challenges without them being suspected as homework. Do they need to be quirky type challenges that no professor would ever assign as homework? Is there a guideline?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Challenges Forum

• Head MFIC
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Challenges Forum

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:09 PM

** Topic Moved to site questions & support **

Now as for your question :
You have under 10 posts, & yes, 10 posts are required to post under the challenges section. After looking at your topic, it does read like it is an assignment. "Write blah blah blah". Rather demanding.

To write a proper challenge, post what is challenging about it. Why would someone want to attempt it? Also, write your entry yourself, & post it in spoiler tags.

I would recommend that you take a moment to look at the other challenges posted in the sub forum. That will give you a better idea as to what is acceptable. Otherwise, it just looks like your posting your homework assignment as a challenge for us to code it. & you would be surprised how many people do that.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:19 PM

Also the topics in the Challenges Forum require approval before they will become visible, which may take a little while.

Jim
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:17 PM

We get a lot of people with only a handful of posts that post a homework assignment in the challenges forum. no2pencil's advice is really the way to go. Write challenges to get people interested and talking. Those always work the best.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1