6 Replies - 1649 Views - Last Post: 17 July 2007 - 06:47 PM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

How much would you charge...

Post icon  Posted 16 July 2007 - 08:24 PM

I work at a full service marketing and technology agency (fancy name for web and print designers) and a coworker (not from programming or creative department, he's from accounts dept) comes up to me and asks if i would build a site for a youth softball league. he's on some board for the kids' league and a really nice guy.

i plan on just styling up a mephisto site, and probably managing updates myself. mephisto as a cms is very efficient, i can do updates really quick. and since this is for the kids and non-profit, the parents and the board are probably paying for this... how much should i charge?

as included in the service, i'll include:
  • buying domain
  • hosting services
  • cms installation
  • site design
  • adding initial content (provided by them)
  • updates (up to 1 content addition (page) /week)
  • unlimited minor text changes (add/modify scores, etc)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How much would you charge...

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How much would you charge...

Posted 17 July 2007 - 08:53 AM

View PosttheRemix, on 16 Jul, 2007 - 11:24 PM, said:

I work at a full service marketing and technology agency (fancy name for web and print designers) and a coworker (not from programming or creative department, he's from accounts dept) comes up to me and asks if i would build a site for a youth softball league. he's on some board for the kids' league and a really nice guy.

Personally, and this is just me, when it comes to non-profits, I don't charge for my time, just operating costs. Of course, I only take on those non-profits I can take without hurting me or my paying customers.

However, that being said: What would you charge if this was for a business? Figure out how much time you'll be spending on this. Multiply that by amount you want per hour. Add on the operating costs (hosting, domain name, etc.)

For example, for IT work, I charge $35 to show up, which covers the first hour, then $25 each additional hour. So if I thought the initial design would take me 3 hours, that would be $85. Then hosting and domain name (say $75 or so).

Now, figure on a little extra for the maintenance end. Say an hour a month for the next 11 months (or how ever long you're contracting for). That's another $35 X 11 = $385.

Now add in extras. (For example CMS installation.) Don't know CMS, so I don't know what to charge here. I'll say $50.

So far, I'm up to about $600. And that's really low balling it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 July 2007 - 09:12 AM

Since you're installing a CMS anyway, I'd let them manage the content - they'll get a massive kick out of being able to update the site themselves, and they'll probably make more use of it than if they have to go through you every time. This way you can base your quote on the initial setup time and costs, rather than the unquantifiable time involved in "unlimited minor changes" - which could end up being more of a hassle than is worth it.

I'd charge as low as 150 - 250 (UKP) for a really basic CMS-driven site, if it's for a small community organisation or similar that can't afford too much, but that really is a cheap rate considering how much power a CMS provides. Remember you need to account for training, as well as technical support.

--serializer
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 17 July 2007 - 12:35 PM

thanks for all your input!

hows this then?
  • domain name 10
  • hosting services 119.40/yr
  • cms installation 50
  • site design 100 (20/hr * 5hrs)
  • adding initial content 50 (10/hr * 5 sections)
  • updates 440 (up to 1 content addition or page /week) (4hrs/mo @10/hr * 11 months)
  • minor text changes 0 (simple add/modify scores, etc) (4hrs/mo @0/hr *11 months)
  • tech support 0 (4hrs/mo @0/hr * 11 months)
  • training 0 (4hrs/mo @0/hr * 11 months)
total (after discounts): 769.4
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 July 2007 - 12:41 PM

View PosttheRemix, on 17 Jul, 2007 - 03:35 PM, said:

hows this then?
  • domain name 10
  • cms installation 50
  • updates 440 (up to 1 content addition or page /week) (4hrs/mo @10/hr * 11 months)
  • minor text changes 0 (simple add/modify scores, etc) (4hrs/mo @0/hr *11 months)

Seems fair to me. Just a heads up. For non-profits, prepare a written estimate, and then a written invoice at the end, and then every month for your updates. For their tax purposes.

Also, didn't think about it, but a softball league isn't a full 12 month schedule, is it?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 17 July 2007 - 06:11 PM

View Postdogboi, on 17 Jul, 2007 - 12:41 PM, said:

View PosttheRemix, on 17 Jul, 2007 - 03:35 PM, said:

hows this then?
  • domain name 10
  • cms installation 50

Seems fair to me. Just a heads up. For non-profits, prepare a written estimate, and then a written invoice at the end, and then every month for your updates. For their tax purposes.

Also, didn't think about it, but a softball league isn't a full 12 month schedule, is it?

i don't know. but the website can be up 12 months/year :)
people like showing people their kids and all...

but that's a good point, if there will be no updates for half the year, then it should only cost half as much right...

i'm sending him this quote, thanks.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• lost in compilation
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 July 2007 - 06:47 PM

i know Canadian law requires that a bill and estimate cannot differ by more than 10%, just something to be aware of.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1