8 Replies - 9527 Views - Last Post: 07 January 2013 - 10:40 AM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Has anyone ever made and sold a (python) program?

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:53 AM

Basically I'm wondering if what hoops, if any, you had to jump through. I read on the python web site that they don't mind you doing this, they just would like to know if you do. I've read the sites on the modules I'm using and what keeps coming up is the 'GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE'. It states in the license that

if you distribute copies of such a program, whether
gratis or for a fee, you must pass on to the recipients the same
freedoms that you received. You must make sure that they, too, receive
or can get the source code.

Now does anyone know if that would apply to me if I wrote a program using a module that uses the 'GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE'?

Thanks for answering any of my questions.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 2
  • +

Replies To: Has anyone ever made and sold a (python) program?

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Has anyone ever made and sold a (python) program?

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:57 AM

My understanding (IANAL) is that if you use a GPL library, you have to license your own application under the GPL (or a compatible license) as well. That's why the LGPL is generally preferred for libraries.

The LGPL differs from the GPL in that it only applies if you create your own derived version of the library, not if you just use it. So you would be allowed to use the library in your own application and sell your application under whichever license you choose. If you also made improvements to the library itself, you would have to release those improvements under an LGPL compatible license though (which, in my mind, is perfectly fair).

Bottom line: If you see a library that's licensed under the GPL, not the LGPL, you should probably avoid it if you have commercial aspirations.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#3 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:21 AM

Wow, this is very interesting. A place I used to do some scripting work for was running a Windows Korn Shell. There was talk of them switching from Korn Shell to Python. I'll bet they didn't know this :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:29 AM

View Postsepp2k, on 28 December 2012 - 07:57 AM, said:

My understanding (IANAL) is that if you use a GPL library, you have to license your own application under the GPL (or a compatible license) as well. That's why the LGPL is generally preferred for libraries.

The LGPL differs from the GPL in that it only applies if you create your own derived version of the library, not if you just use it. So you would be allowed to use the library in your own application and sell your application under whichever license you choose. If you also made improvements to the library itself, you would have to release those improvements under an LGPL compatible license though (which, in my mind, is perfectly fair).

Bottom line: If you see a library that's licensed under the GPL, not the LGPL, you should probably avoid it if you have commercial aspirations.

Thanks for the reply, I've read several of your comments and have grown to respect your opinion, which is why that is particularly shitty to hear. I did a bit of googling and found the same thing. Damn.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:40 AM

View Postno2pencil, on 28 December 2012 - 03:21 PM, said:

Wow, this is very interesting. A place I used to do some scripting work for was running a Windows Korn Shell. There was talk of them switching from Korn Shell to Python. I'll bet they didn't know this :)/>

Didn't know what? Note that none of what was said in this thread is in any way specific to Python. Using a GPL library forces you to use GPL yourself, no matter which language your program or the library are written in.

Also note that Python or its standard library are not GPL. This question was specifically about third party libraries.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#6 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:00 AM

View Postsepp2k, on 28 December 2012 - 09:40 AM, said:

View Postno2pencil, on 28 December 2012 - 03:21 PM, said:

Wow, this is very interesting. A place I used to do some scripting work for was running a Windows Korn Shell. There was talk of them switching from Korn Shell to Python. I'll bet they didn't know this :)

Didn't know what? Note that none of what was said in this thread is in any way specific to Python. Using a GPL library forces you to use GPL yourself, no matter which language your program or the library are written in.

The product they were using was a closed source solution that they had rights to resell & also provide suport for. I know the GPL isn't specific to Python.

View Postsepp2k, on 28 December 2012 - 09:40 AM, said:

Also note that Python or its standard library are not GPL. This question was specifically about third party libraries.

I thought that was what was being said. My mistake.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:01 AM

What the GPL covers is modifications to a GPL-licensed work, not products created with that work.

Suppose I have a patented paintbrush and a copyrighted shade of red - you can use both of those to create an image which you own, completely. I have no rights in that image.

Now, if you include a library in your code, then you're covered by the terms under which you've licensed that library. This may "taint" your program with GPL-ness. If you want to write a program for sale, you should probably avoid using GPL-licensed libraries - LGPL may be okay, but IANAL. However, you're free to use GPL-licensed tools, like the gcc (though you should be careful, because the gcc comes with libraries which are GPL-licensed)

This post has been edited by jon.kiparsky: 28 December 2012 - 08:05 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pythoneer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:18 PM

This discussion is an excellent candidate for the advanced discussion forum. Moved!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:40 AM

I've heard that Galcon was written in Python. Not sure if its true though.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1