2 Replies - 1360 Views - Last Post: 10 January 2013 - 10:47 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

How To Get A Tile Based Game (Java)

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:19 PM

Hello, so I want to make a tile based game, similar to the layout of the game Civilization. Example Here. I want the game to have an isometric-diagonal view and obviously there will be different kinds of tiles. The problem is that I don't even know how to begin. What is a good way to make tiles and then implement them into a world. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How To Get A Tile Based Game (Java)

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How To Get A Tile Based Game (Java)

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:26 PM

What is a good way to make tiles

Typically drawing them works well for making them. You know with gimp, photoshop, graphicsgail, or what ever.

then implement them into a world.

The simplest is to use 2d array, right? Each point on the array stands for a tile... change the tile number and the program draws something different.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: How To Get A Tile Based Game (Java)

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:47 PM

Modi pretty much laid it out for you. The steps I would take are :
I assume the maps will be created by you instead of randomly generated so I would start by making a map tool that uses you tiles and saves the tile array to an xml file.

Next you would teach your game how to read and load the tile save.

Your genre is an rts so next you would work on path finding and AI for your computer players.

Create a win condition, maybe different difficulties, multiple enemies, you will obviously need units of different types and scripts that manage their behaviors, test it , and lastly polish it up and there you have it.

Things you might want to include that most rts have:
End game progress and resource charts.
A time system with pause, normal, and fast/er/est modes.
Unit hardening/upgrading
A story line/mode
A tutorial game that introduces the game and the custom UI you implement.

As far as graphics go I would go with gimp or have a look at Pickle both are free.
Code, is all upto you but you could probably find examples around here and on the internet.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1