6 Replies - 677 Views - Last Post: 08 January 2013 - 11:13 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

what is the best way to create a site look a like Ebay

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:27 AM

Hello every body
i am very new at web development, i started working on my level in it, the only problem i am facing it is that i don't know what to do , knowing that i am trying working on ebay look alike site,
i know a bit css and html, so what do you advice me with ?
i mean my site will have a database which is gonna be daily updated so i need the proper tools to manipulate easily as i can, so i know that php is the best in the database manipulation;
so my exact question guys is what i need in terms of tools to create a web site like ebay ?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: what is the best way to create a site look a like Ebay

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: what is the best way to create a site look a like Ebay

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:49 AM

Hey.

So, what do you need to create an eBay clone? A team of professional web-developers and a great UI designer. Creating a site like that is not an easy task that one does as a learning exerciser. Not well, at least.

Practically speaking, you would need to have a pretty good handle on front-end development (HTML/CSS and Javascript), as well as a thorough understanding of server-side development in whatever server-side language you choose. You'll also need to know a thing or two about programming design patters; how to organize a large code base efficiently. - You'd also have to have a good understanding of the security aspect of web development, as you'd have to be able to security handle user info and probably payment information.

View Postroodani, on 30 December 2012 - 11:27 AM, said:

... so i know that php is the best in the database manipulation;

Not true. PHP is a good server-side language, and can be used with great results, however to say that it is the "best" such language is simply incorrect. There are many server-side language to choose from, each with their strengths and weaknesses. Choosing the right language for a project like eBay should not be taken lightly, or done rashly.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:41 AM

Hello
Thanks a lot for ur answer
but i can see that u got me wrong, first i am a member of a team each one of us will cover an aspect and we will develop our web experience through time, in addition i am so sorry i didn't make my question clear so much so here is my idea well organized
It's a market of some products of a well known stores in our country, so it's the administrator of the site who will daily update the products of each store, besides in our site the user can't buy from our site he can just watch the product and see it's characteristic i hope now u got me now

and finally through this project i believe we will learn a lot of stuff in web development so it's not gonna be taken lightly and done rashly as u said, because we won't post it online without making sure that it's totally done

:angel:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:51 AM

OK, I see. So you aren't really trying to make an eBay-like auction-house website, but more of a traditional e-commerce site like Amazon.

Well, e-commerce sites are relatively simple in comparison. It's actually more or less like a blog or a news publishing site, except with a different content layout and (sometimes) some sort of shopping cart capabilities.

You don't have to build this type of system from the ground up yourself. There are about a billion existing systems that you could use. Some of them free or open-source, and others commercial. Look around and you'll no doubt find the most popular choices. (I can't really suggest any, as I've never used one of those before.) - It'll be quicker and easier than writing it.

One thing I'd advice. Try to avoid WordPress based e-commerce sites. WordPress based sites that aren't blog or news systems tend to have pretty messy databases. (WordPress by itself has a pretty messy database, and this added level of complexity doesn't exactly help.)
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:25 AM

Thank you so much atli
ok i have looked a bit online and like u said i found something it seems to be useful
like this one http://www.drupalcommerce.org/ using Drupal i believe u know it , i have never worked with it but i am familiar with joomla which i believe they have the same foundation only that drupal is very suited to developers
Drupal commerce is an open source eCommerce framework. Used to build truly flexible eCommerce websites and applications based on Drupal
so u would advice me with this ? :genius: :2guns:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:16 AM

I actually had my own ecommerce site years ago, back when i had very little know-how with any programming language. I used a out of the box tool called zen cart, it was a bit tricky at first but it did the job for me. Sorry but the templates choics were a bit limited.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:13 PM

The key word is "E-commerce site" / "ecommerce" That's what eBay is like.

So you'll want to look into "how to setup an e-commerce site".

Atli has the same answer as me :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1