7 Replies - 1606 Views - Last Post: 28 January 2013 - 10:25 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Python and Voice input

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:24 AM

Is there any way to make a Python program that takes a voice command as input and do stuff based on the command??
1) I need something like a library or an index or a tutorial if possible.
2) If someone believes that this can be done easier with another language please suggest
3) Don't tell me about Dragonfly or pySpeech because i think they dont work with python v2.7 and v3

Thanks in advance.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Python and Voice input

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Python and Voice input

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:35 PM

View PostHighest bidder, on 30 December 2012 - 11:24 AM, said:

Is there any way to make a Python program that takes a voice command as input and do stuff based on the command??

Yes. . .I did something like this once, however, I'm unsure whether you're looking for what I'm going to offer. Basically it's a website that allows you to create a free phone number and write python scripts on there to execute code. I made one and it would fetch the weather or get the latest baseball scores depending on what you said to it once you called it. The site is tropo. It's a good site and they contain plenty of tutorials.

Also any tutorial makers out there. . . I believe tropo would be an awesome tutorial project for the cloud computing section. Shoot, I may do it myself. Anyway good luck to you.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:21 AM

View Postalexr1090, on 30 December 2012 - 05:35 PM, said:

The site is tropo. It's a good site and they contain plenty of tutorials.

Thanks for replying but no, that is not what i am looking for... What i have in mind is to build a list with samples of my voice saying for example "shut down" in .wav format. Then a Python program would record my voice and if it matches with the shut_down.wav (or some other .wav file) run some code.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pythoneer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:03 AM

I believe this falls under the category of Speech recognition algorithms. Maybe PySpeech?

This post has been edited by atraub: 31 December 2012 - 09:04 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:11 PM

View Postatraub, on 31 December 2012 - 09:03 AM, said:

I believe this falls under the category of Speech recognition algorithms. Maybe PySpeech?

I know about the Pyspeech but it only supports Python 2.4 and 2.5 Plus it needs to use some microsoft speech kit.
I was hopping i could make it as a stand alone program... Any other ideas?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:30 PM

It's in situations like these that one must either write their own library if they are unsatisfied with the libraries at hand or write their program in a different programming language. That being said, you can still use the pywin32 extension and still make your application a standalone program, py2exe supports this.

If you're looking to leave python for a better library and you want a standalone application, C++ might be the route and there are multiple libraries for speech recognition developed in it. Not to be presumptuous, but if you are not already familiar with C++, I wouldn't recommend going immediately to this problem.

However, there are, as far as I know, no very simple routes to creating software that employs speech recognition and you may find yourself working with the core problem of speech recognition regardless of the path you take.

This post has been edited by fashionnugget: 02 January 2013 - 10:32 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:41 AM

View Postfashionnugget, on 02 January 2013 - 10:30 PM, said:

If you're looking to leave python for a better library and you want a standalone application, C++ might be the route and there are multiple libraries for speech recognition developed in it. Not to be presumptuous, but if you are not already familiar with C++, I wouldn't recommend going immediately to this problem.

I dont think i have enough experience/skilled to create my own library so i guess i will try C++ (i am familiar with it), in case i dont make it, i will try creating a library...

However, there are, as far as I know, no very simple routes to creating software that employs speech recognition and you may find yourself working with the core problem of speech recognition regardless of the path you take.

I am a student so i have plenty of time, plus i see it more like a challenge than working so i think its gonna be fun... i just needed a place to "start" because i was kind of lost out there... thanks for all the replies :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:25 AM

View Postalexr1090, on 30 December 2012 - 06:35 PM, said:

Shoot, I may do it myself

I did it myself :). Here's the link. Wrote it to have the phone tell us the weather. Hope everyone likes it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1