• +
  • Last »

104 Replies - 6940 Views - Last Post: 08 January 2013 - 07:02 AM

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

New Year's resolution?

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:28 AM

When it came to my attention earlier this morning that today is the last day of 2012, I did think back and realize that I have seen virtually no television ads for either champagne/sparkling wine or the latest Bowflex machine. This is the reason I wasn't really aware that the year was coming to a close.

To that end, I've also heard zero from anyone about a New Year's resolution. I've never really been a fan of making a promise to myself that I have every intention of ignoring later on...but how about ya'll? I suppose I could say I plan to lose some weight but I started running again a few weeks back. I could say I'd like to grow my business this next year but January 1 isn't any more special a day for that kind of vague intention than any other day.

Anyone want to publicly post their New Year's resolution here so as to maybe help keep you on track?

This post has been edited by Craig328: 31 December 2012 - 08:28 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 2
  • +

Replies To: New Year's resolution?

• Knows all, except most.

• View blog

Re: New Year's resolution?

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:57 AM

I don't mean to be disrespectful to anyone, but isn't waiting for the new year to have a resolution just an excuse to be lazy for the rest of the previous year? Someone could say that they've been working poorly the last year, and want to improve this year, but they very easily could have changed their work quality the previous year, because, as you say, January 1 isn't anymore special than another day.

Though, good luck with your business plans :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:12 AM

My New Year's resolution is to build a time machine so I can travel back to the year 2000 and find someone to father my children who isn't a complete and total friggin' moron. The fucktard asshole.

Oh, and all that get-off-my-fat-ass-and-work-out shit, too.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• Pythoneer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:13 AM

You're suggesting that coming up with a new year's resolution is an excuse to be lazy for the next 12 hours (depending on where you are) or so? I doubt that's what he's trying to do lol.

Right now, I'm working on becoming a EFL teacher in Korea. My resolution is to be the best damn EFL teacher I can be. Right now I'm taking a TESOL course, and I'm resolved to get A's in every section and to complete each section early so that I can get my certification that much faster. I'm reading a book called "Konglish" (thank you aunt Kimmy) that's acts as a "everything you ever wanted to know about teaching in South Korea" reference and I'm trying to pick up a few Korean phrases before I leave.

This post has been edited by atraub: 31 December 2012 - 09:13 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:22 AM

True enough. I understand some folks use the new year as kind of a hard waypoint and then make pledges to themselves based on that date so they can look back later on to gauge whether they kept to that pledge or not. I don't tend to that habit. If there's something I know I need to do I'll be as honest with myself as I can be as to whether I'm likely to commit to it and, if so, I'll just go ahead and do it.

However, many people like to make New Year's resolutions. I don't drink enough (usually) to pledge to reduce that habit. I'm already running so my weight will come along of its own accord or not. I can always use more contract work but I have several irons in the fire and that's something that's not going to conform to an arbitrary date I set anyway.

I suppose it's as good a time as any to remind myself to be a better person in general, cultivate a thicker skin when dealing with those where such would be desired, maybe recommit to being a better husband, father and son. Those are all worthy tasks.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:23 AM

POPULAR

new years resolutions are for people who intend to fail. if you have a change in your life you want to make you should make it right away, not wait for some dumb date in the distance.
Was This Post Helpful? 5
  • +
  • -

#7 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:23 AM

I don't mean to be disrespectful to anyone, but isn't waiting for the new year to have a resolution just an excuse to be lazy for the rest of the previous year?

That was rude, but I am not sure what it was intended to be rude towards. What to people that haven't gotten around to getting a set of resolutions and there's only twelve hours left of the year? Those who make resolutions in general? Those who do not have resolutions? I am unclear where to apply my snark.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Knows all, except most.

• View blog

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:25 AM

View Postatraub, on 01 January 2013 - 02:13 AM, said:

You're suggesting that coming up with a new year's resolution is an excuse to be lazy for the next 12 hours (depending on where you are) or so? I doubt that's what he's trying to do lol.

I wasn't referring to the OP, but just in general. The OP said he has already started running, presumably to lose weight, which is good. But some people will say the say that they want to lose weight in September or whatever, and then say that they will make a real effort next year to do so with no reason not to start right away. And given the do it later attitude, will probably not follow on with it anyway. Of course this doesn't apply to everyone, such as your case too.

Anyway, while not really a resolution, I am continuing to study hard in attempt to get a scholarship for Qantm College. I have 6 weeks to learn and create something decent with c++ and directX. The chances and slim, but I will keep trying, I refuse to be not be the top student.

That was rude, but I am not sure what it was intended to be rude towards. What to people that haven't gotten around to getting a set of resolutions and there's only twelve hours left of the year? Those who make resolutions in general? Those who do not have resolutions? I am unclear where to apply my snark.

Sorry, I didn't direct it towards the OP or anyone here or any time/year, but the idea of new year resolutions in general. Of course resolutions are a good thing, not really different from goals, and then of course people may be busy until the years end and it can't be avoided. But there is no reason to delay your goals.

This post has been edited by Mylo: 31 December 2012 - 09:29 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:36 AM

I have excuses for my resolutions (who am I kidding? I have excuses for EVERYTHING).

First, the get-off-my-ass resolution. I was working on that quite diligently for many months. Then the holidays rolled around and I started eating like a pig - and my gym closes for holiday break, so I haven't been able to go. They reopen Wednesday. I'll be going back on Thursday. But tonight is New Year's, so I'm still going to eat like a pig.

Second, while I always knew my ex was a fucktard, he has proven himself more so today. Hence, until today, I really hadn't considered getting into time travel for the sake of avoiding the future I created for myself. And being that it's New Year's Eve, it seemed like a good time to turn my moment of fantasy into a full-blown resolution that I can give up on tomorrow.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:40 AM

POPULAR

View PostBenignDesign, on 31 December 2012 - 12:12 PM, said:

My New Year's resolution is to build a time machine so I can travel back to the year 2000 and find someone to father my children...

MacOSXnerd sighting in 5...4...3...2...
Was This Post Helpful? 5
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:47 AM

hahaha! mac was prepubescent in 2000, pumpkin.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:49 AM

What's your point? :)
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:49 AM

POPULAR

since when has that stopped you
Was This Post Helpful? 6
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:57 AM

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

#15 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:07 AM

Don't think a "pedestrian bear plush toy" and a bag of candy wasn't on the table for secret satan this year.. Thankfully I got someone mature and respectable.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »