5 Replies - 4432 Views - Last Post: 01 January 2013 - 08:42 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Some kind of registry read redirect

Posted 01 January 2013 - 02:25 PM

"Application" reads registry key 1 when it starts. Basically key 1 holds information regarding display positioning relative to the main display.

What I want to develop is a small piece of software that prevents App from reading key 1, instead redirects it towards reading key 2. Basically what I want is to fake the position of one display as seen by App. I cannot modify App, and I do not know how the reading is done. All I have is a registry event viewer, so I know who/when/what reads/writes to the registry, so I can track what App reads.

ANY suggestions/comments are welcome. Can it be done? (of course, in a reasonable period of time... like a few days/weeks or so) What would one need to know in order to start such a project?

I don't care about the programming language.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Some kind of registry read redirect

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Some kind of registry read redirect

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:13 PM

If you want to move the display - and you know where the value is stored in the registry - why do you have to redirect or fake anything? Just change the value in the registry. I mean you obviously know the where - and you know the value - and you know what it needs to be to get the results you want... So what's the problem in changing the original value?

If it used to have values of 100 and 200 for x and y then change them to 300 and 400 for example.

Redirecting registry values to some other fake value sounds more like a way to try to circumvent security or program registration or trial software expiry or validation URL
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:16 PM

Perhaps you are thinking of the Registry Redirection that is the newer versions of Windows: http://msdn.microsof...2(v=vs.85).aspx

Or Registry Virtualization: http://msdn.microsof...4(v=vs.85).aspx

This post has been edited by Skydiver: 01 January 2013 - 03:18 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:13 PM

The software I am trying to "fool" can have a secondary display active. The secondary display automatically is activated in full screen mode on the first screen to the left of the main screen. So if I have two displays: display 1 next to main, on the left, and display 2 next to display one, on the left (kind of 2, 1, main), the secondary software screen shows up in full screen mode only on display 1. I want main window on the main screen, and secondary window on screen 2. Obviously I want everything to stay the same in Windows and everywhere else, but to "fool" my App to believe that screen 2 is next to the main screen and screen 1 is on the far side. So basically what I need is a fake key, with fake display 1 position and a way to redirect the App to read that key instead of the original one. That's why changing the values in the registry is not a solution for me right now.

Pretty simple, not trying to circumvent anything, and please don't assume things about what I'm trying to do :). My software is pretty much in legal working condition, unfortunately Adobe won't listen to a poor user demands and create a new software version for me, nor will they give me access to the source codes so I can treat the way I want the secondary screen positioning. Understood? :)

Skydiver - I'll read the documentation again, and see if I can find anything useful to what I need. Thanks.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:40 PM

Just thought of something... how about some DLL injection into the app and intercept the Registry API calls.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:42 PM

This is starting to border on topics that can be used for malicious software. I'm going to close your thread.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1