2 Replies - 1920 Views - Last Post: 02 January 2013 - 07:03 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

How to update db on hosting site

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:10 PM

I have a program that is access based which I have exported the information I need to publish on a web sited that is being hosted. My question is what is the best way to update the database my CF app is using updated. My hosting service can do either access or MS SQL 2008. The isn't a lot of updates that will be probable 5 - 10 a minute. I was going to just pull the data via query then do an update query to add the records. Any thoughts would be appreciated. The traffic isn't going to be very high. If I just copy the access file to the hosting service would the users get an error while the file is being over wrote. Been out of the CFworld for a while.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How to update db on hosting site

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How to update db on hosting site

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:09 PM

I'd suggest the answer depends more on you and your site's typical traffic load. Most sites have a cyclical traffic load meaning that traffic goes through higher volume and lower volume portions of the day.

The times I've done something similar I simply had the site display a "we're upgrading our data, we'll be back shortly" message, go in, do the work and bring the site back up all during one of those traffic lulls. Normal users won't care much about a 5-10 minute outage.

There are other ways to do the same thing without stopping the site. You could, for instance, load the data to tables your site doesn't use and then copy the data from those new tables to your existing tables at your convenience. Without a more detailed description of the data you're trying to import, it's hard to say what the "best" approach would be.

Good luck!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: How to update db on hosting site

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:03 PM

Thanks for the quick reply..

I'm running a timing system for Off Road Racing Series and will be posting the lap times from the applications access db. I have the data pulled to a table that CF uses to update the web locally. So I need to have the data I have in a separate access db update the db on the hosting server. So having the site down for any time during the event wouldn't be an option. I think from what I have read on forums that I can just do an append to the db on the hosting server.

If you have any other suggestions or idea let me know.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1