5 Replies - 5190 Views - Last Post: 02 January 2013 - 01:57 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Senior Project Computer Science Ideas

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:49 PM

So I looked through the senior project threads and I need some more relevant information that applies to what i'm looking for. I need some help coming up with an idea for my senior project for my last year of a computer science degree. I want to do something that is fun, yet fits in the time period of about 3 months to complete.

I'm currently doing some small applications for my work in C#. Since I have 3 years experience with Java and C# is similar enough, writing an application in either language is a possibility.

A lot of the advice I found recommended doing a project that is interesting to me. I'm interesting in gaming, biking, reading, so I decided to explore those options. Most of the projects I found were too big for the time period like advanced games, or too short like solving a simple algorithm.

I would like to do a project that represents skills I can show off to a future employer. I have a little experience building websites, so one of the ideas I had was to do some website with html/PhP or javascript(would have to learn) to increase my experience.

Another idea I had was to create a 2D game of some sort. I could do a clone of pacman, bomberman, load runner or some older game. The issue with this is getting the graphics and copyright issues. If I did do a game, AI interests me so I could include something with that.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Senior Project Computer Science Ideas

#2 tlhIn`toq  Icon User is online

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Senior Project Computer Science Ideas

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:10 PM

Forgive the bluntness of this but...

If you've looked through the existing ideas, and you know all the things that interest you (and we don't), and you want to show the skills you have (that we don't know what you have), and you're talking about your senior university comp-sci degree... and you haven't got a fraking clue but think a bunch of strangers half a world away can give you better advice that fits you than you can give to yourself... You should have changed majors a few thousand dollars ago.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:30 PM

Sorry about that my skills are 3 years in Java, learning C# currently, a little experience with HTML/PHP, and a little experience with C. As for interests those were previously listed to show you what direction I could take the projects in. The reason i'm asking for ideas is to narrow down my search. I'm more interested in ideas of something that can use those skills or something new I can learn. I chose this major because I like programming and the process of creating something people can use. Just looking for ideas so that I can explore and adapt them.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:38 PM

Is your degree actually in Computer Science, where you look at more than just learning to write code? Do you discuss algorithm analysis, theory of computation, formal languages? Have you taken an AI class or is there a professor that does research on this? Look at various professors' research areas and see if something along those lines would interest you. It would also set you up well to find a mentor.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:41 PM

We have plenty of project ideas on our project lists, and I do not think it's appropriate to have folks play the infinite guessing game on what project you would think is best.

Project Ideas

Martyr2 Mega Project List
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 tlhIn`toq  Icon User is online

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:57 PM

View PostLohkii, on 02 January 2013 - 02:30 PM, said:

Sorry about that my skills are 3 years in Java, learning C# currently, a little experience with HTML/PHP, and a little experience with C.

That doesn't actually tell anyone what your skills are. It tells people how long you spent in school. Some schools are faster paced than others. Some students are faster than others. As a rule 3 years in a coding course is about the same as 6 months with a couple "Teach yourself {coding language}" books available from Amazon.com.

Saying you spent 3 years in java doesn't mean you understand anything how to separate GUI from Data for example. Or how to work in a good OOP way. Or if you have any skill at architecting a design or just at following the step-by-step instructions in your school text book.

I know it seems like I'm being rough on you but please don't take that as anger. You're leaving university and entering the grown up world. Its time to start thinking like an adult and hearing things from the real-world perspective and not the protective, nurturing, ego-boosting world of school and teachers and "you can do anything honey" mentality.

A little of this and a little of that and just starting C#... Is about what we hear from 90% of the rookies starting at age 15.

Can you actually sit down at a white board and ENGINEER a piece of software from start to finish; including all the object classes, events, properties, data and so on? If you can't then you can stop wondering what it should be about since you can't make it anyway.

That should be where you start considering what you project should be about: What can you actually accomplish? You can decide to make a piece of software for a martian rover, but if you don't have those skills then the decision is moot. Get out a piece of paper and figure out what your actual skills are, then start matching those to your interests. The overlap of those would be the projects you could complete.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1