6 Replies - 10911 Views - Last Post: 09 January 2013 - 02:55 PM

• Pirate King
  • member icon

• View blog

JSnap - A Screenshot Application

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:11 PM

The idea here is a TRULY cross-platform screenshot application. One that works wherever Java runs. The minimum required JRE is version 7 (it makes use of the nio package).

Java L&F
Attached Image

Nimbus L&F
Attached Image

The only button that isn't self-explanatory is the Redefine button, which allows you to define a particular capture region of the screen. The app has been tested on Linux, Mac, and Windows and works just fine.

EDIT: Here is the source code at present.
Attached File  screenshot.zip (8.2K)
Number of downloads: 0

If anyone has suggestions or constructive criticisms I'm open to input. The only future "upgrade" I'm planning is that opposed to saving to a file, perhaps adding a checkbox that alternatively copies to clipboard.

It is open source but not in the OSI sense, as the license is a modified MIT license which does not permit for redistribution of modifications. What I mean by open source is that you are welcome to view it and modify it to suit your particular needs rather than derive other software from it.

I suggest you read the help documentation prior to operating the application, it will explain the functionality of everything, including the application itself. The help can be read in a browser or it can be called up from within the application.

This post has been edited by grimpirate: 03 January 2013 - 10:22 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 2
  • +

Replies To: JSnap - A Screenshot Application

• Pirate King
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: JSnap - A Screenshot Application

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

Updated to include Copy functionality.
Attached File  screenshot.zip (8.8K)
Number of downloads: 1

Synthetica Black Eye L&F
Posted Image

Attached image(s)

• Attached Image

This post has been edited by grimpirate: 09 January 2013 - 05:59 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:59 AM

It looks very nice. I can't download the attachments for some reason.

I would love to have seen your code. :(

This post has been edited by farrell2k: 06 January 2013 - 01:11 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:52 AM

I wonder why you don't upload your code to somewhere like GitHub or Google code. Makes it a lot easier than attaching zip files all over the place and you get the added advantage of source control (also a valuable learning tool if you haven't used it already)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pirate King
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:58 PM

github and google code both require your code to be open source. The code license I provide doesn't fall underneath that umbrella, therefore it has no place there. Mostly though I just don't care for git, mercurial and other such vcs. Those things are fine when you're working on something collaboratively or even an exceedingly large project, but "version control" is something I do as a matter of coding practice. Having a fancy automated system for it doesn't really help me, I prefer ye olde pencil and paper approach. I view git and mercurial as cloud code basically, and I really hate the cloud buzzword.

I put the code up on sendspace farrel2k so heopfully you can get it from here.EDIT: Please download the newest source from the most recent post.

Current problem that necessitates tackling: I'm trying to package the application into a jar file. This produces an error within my Help and About Dialogs. Namely, both load the html files containing relevant data for the license and help section. These are loaded as resources. It works fine in its unjarred form. However, when I place these files into the jar the system returns a ZipFileSystemProvider error of some sort. This sort of error is uncharted terrain for me, so if anyone has insights I'd appreciate suggestions on how to work this out.

This post has been edited by grimpirate: 07 January 2013 - 12:27 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pirate King
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:25 PM

Managed to package everything into a JAR successfully. ZipFileSystemProvider is kind of a pain I must say. Seems like an extremely obtuse way of doing something that was much simpler before. Anyways, the JAR will function as expected, and if you unzip the archive you will find the source code within.

v 2013.01.07.1EDIT: Please download the newest source from the most recent post.

This post has been edited by grimpirate: 09 January 2013 - 02:56 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pirate King
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:55 PM

New version, the changes are mostly code aesthetics and modularity:

• Eliminated ClipBoardOwner interface implementation as it wasn't needed
  • Using TimeUnit for conversions as opposed to magic numbers
  • Improved JFileChooser code by separating the class and no longer necessitating an additional instance field
  • Moved certain GUI creation facilities into the application constructor to remove on-demand instantiation
  • Updated the resource retrieval code and moved it into its own class pursuant to the discussion here

v 2013.01.09.1

This post has been edited by grimpirate: 09 January 2013 - 02:58 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1