3 Replies - 1185 Views - Last Post: 06 January 2013 - 12:45 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

What to choose?

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:23 AM

Hello guys! I am a second year student of software engineering. And now I believe it is the time when I need to choose on what should I concentrate. I mean since high school I tried different programming languages, different platforms to work on. So as 2013 started, I need advice, what should I choose - web development (html, css, php, javascript, etc..) or Android programming (have a bit experience in Java). I never worked in industry and I have no idea which skills companies are looking for. Obviously, I want to know which web development or android programming is more interesting, which is "harder" to learn and which has more value in real world when you are looking for a job. Because now I have such a strong feeling that I wasted so much time trying different stuff which will not help me in the future, just because I haven't concentrated on one subject like Java programming or web development. I really need your advice, because I am tired working random jobs not related to what I really love - coding. Thank you for your time.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What to choose?

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Re: What to choose?

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:13 AM

If I am not wrong most apps for phones run on some type of JAVA. As for working on the industry, the more you know the better.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:48 PM

You could always do what I did. I looked to see what was the most used language in the industry in my area and studied that. When I started to go to college, C#.NET had been out for about two years and a lot of companies in my area were looking for C#.NET programmers. So I specifically chose a college that taught C#.NET in it's programming curriculum and have been following that ever since.

I'm really happy with my choice as I'm now very familiar with the language and make a good living working with it daily. I also haven't had any troubles finding new jobs that require it either. But like DarenR said, "the more you know the better." Even though I've mostly specialized towards C#, I still use other languages like Java, C++, and others on occasion, even for work.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:45 PM

I'm planning a switch to c# from Java. Employers in my are have been embracing c#. I recommend c#. You can always learn enough Java to be competent with Android as well.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1