• +

25 Replies - 1338 Views - Last Post: 05 January 2013 - 05:28 PM

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Tsk Tsk Sony...

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:58 AM

http://www.arstechni...sed-game-sales/

Seeing as how robust and foolproof RFID is, this should work right?

This post has been edited by Lemur: 04 January 2013 - 06:41 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: Tsk Tsk Sony...

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Tsk Tsk Sony...

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:01 AM

In a nut shell:

Used game sales continue to be a major concern for many big-name publishers and developers, who see the practice as a drain on the revenue they earn from selling new software.
-- http://arstechnica.c...sed-game-sales/

Greedy fuckers.

Industries are always trying to do an end run around the doctrine of first-sale. Unfortunately, digital resources are in better position to enforce their vision of obliterating a resale market.

As much as I love my eReader, whenever I walk out of a used book store with a happy haul, I start to look at digital copies with distrust.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:49 AM

From what little research I've done, both MS & Sony have been trying to find a way to do this for years. The next xbox (please, correct me if I am wrong) will play games from the cloud. So your login will pay for the game, thus removing the physical media & along with it any sales of used games.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:05 AM

Used game sales continue to be a major concern for many big-name publishers and developers, who see the practice as a drain on the revenue they earn from selling new software.

This is just as stupid as authors who object to used-books sales. If I know I can't sell it on when I'm done with it, it makes me less likely to buy it in the first place.

I don't even play these games, I'm just annoyed on aesthetic grounds.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pythoneer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:10 AM

I won't buy a console that doesn't allow me to replay games in some capacity. The microsoft cloud idea for games can be appealing if I can get the games at a discounted price by virtue of not having to buy physical media. If sony implements this on the ps4, I just won't buy one, ever.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:18 AM

Heh.. I wonder what the RFID range on those suckers are.. slap together an rfid transmitter on your raspberry pi and have some fun at wally-world.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:20 AM

I've read for a while that the gaming industry will be going cloud. Even to the point where the hardware is replaced with only a network card and a controller and the server (cloud) will house the graphics and hardware and just send you the display that you control. Sad, but even stuff you pay for soon will never be fully "yours".
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pythoneer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:59 AM

View Postshezzy, on 04 January 2013 - 10:20 AM, said:

I've read for a while that the gaming industry will be going cloud. Even to the point where the hardware is replaced with only a network card and a controller and the server (cloud) will house the graphics and hardware and just send you the display that you control. Sad, but even stuff you pay for soon will never be fully "yours".
i threw up in my mouth a little when I read this.

EDIT: Ray of hope:

Of course, the fact that Sony has applied to patent this idea is a far cry from confirmation that this kind of protection system is in the works for the PlayStation 4. Even if it is, Sony could easily leave it to individual publishers to decide whether or not to implement it.

This post has been edited by atraub: 04 January 2013 - 09:06 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:08 AM

So I couldn't go over to my friends house and play my games on their console either?

Dafuq...

Srsly, dick bags.

I have no problem with digitally distributed software not really having a high resale value. I downloaded it knowing this, the entire product is something that can hardly be resold. It doesn't disrupt my ability to play the game in any way though... I can go to my friends house, log in, and download MY games and continue playing (and vice versa). Instead of limiting me it makes it EASIER for me to play my games. My friend is visiting from NY, we were talking about a game I should play, and I was like, "sweet, I'll have to check that out when I got a few extra bucks". His response... "to bad I didn't bring it with me... errr, wait a second." And proceeded to download the game from his account!

This empowers me as a customer giving me a product I like and want. And also digi-releases tend to drop in price very quickly (I think they should be reduced from the get-go as well... but I know why they aren't).

Now that's good anti-piracy tactics!

But what Sony is talking about in their patent!? That doesn't give me anything. It gives them everything, and makes it harder for me to enjoy the thing I purchased.

This is bad anti-piracy tactics.

Furthermore if they think this stops used-games sales. Personally I think that's shooting oneself in the foot. Many gamers buy NEW games with the money they get back from trading in their old games. These people won't be able to buy new games anymore... so they've just lost this user base.

So yeah, if MS or Sony implements anything similar to this. I will not be purchasing their consoles, and definitely won't be purchasing any software that implements these things.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:09 AM

im still rocking my ps2 sooooooo yeah
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:14 AM

Same here, just re-beat ICO and Shadow of the Collusus last week.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:25 AM

View Postbaavgai, on 04 January 2013 - 07:01 AM, said:

In a nut shell:

-- http://arstechnica.c...sed-game-sales/

Greedy fuckers.

Industries are always trying to do an end run around the doctrine of first-sale. Unfortunately, digital resources are in better position to enforce their vision of obliterating a resale market.

As much as I love my eReader, whenever I walk out of a used book store with a happy haul, I start to look at digital copies with distrust.

No kidding. This woman got on Amazon's bad side somehow (allegedly because of ties to someone else that got on Amazon's bad side), and they wiped her kindle.

I always buy a hard copy of a book I care about. I also look for pdf versions online (most of the stuff that interests me is technical, and usually has a free pdf counterpart available by googling: <book-title> filetype:pdf) so I can read it on any device I happen to have with me.

There are a few technologies lately that I simply refuse to embrace.

I'll also never buy another video game that has anything to do with Electronic Arts ever again. Those guys are pure evil.

This post has been edited by Python_4_President: 04 January 2013 - 11:26 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:21 PM

View Postno2pencil, on 04 January 2013 - 07:49 AM, said:

From what little research I've done, both MS & Sony have been trying to find a way to do this for years. The next xbox (please, correct me if I am wrong) will play games from the cloud. So your login will pay for the game, thus removing the physical media & along with it any sales of used games.

all rumors at this point.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:25 PM

I know it's similiar to what alot of people are complaining about but I'm quite happy with the way Steam has implimented their way of purchasing and playing games. I haven't bought a game for my computer that's been a physical copy since I downloaded Steam. It allows me to easily play most my games on any of the computers I use at the time without any worry. Plus, my younger sisters can play a couple of my games they enjoy as well.

I don't even use my 360 anymore, except to play movies off a flashdrive and that's even less than before with my hdmi cables and large tv near my computer set-up.

The only thing I like about consoles is the ease at multiplayer with the people that sit next to you playing. That's the only reason I buy consoles anymore, but even that's getting harder with all these games removing that aspect and putting everything on xbox live or playstation network. Ugh. There is literally NO racing games on the 360 that are two player even on the one console. You have to play over LIVE.

This sounded kinda ranting. And I think I fell off topic. I blame my headache.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:29 PM

Just as many of you are, I'm outraged that companies would even try such things. The 2nd hand market doesn't hurt them, in fact it helps them. I regularly rent video games to see if I like them, then if I do, I buy them first hand.

The biggest outrage of it all comes after the publisher stops producing the game. You know, when your first hand copy breaks, or gets scratched, or your little brother wants a copy because he's watched you play it for years? It's then that this technology will hurt the consumers the most because then we won't even be able to buy a used replacement like we can now.

I'm going to side with a few other news agents when I say that sure, Sony has researched and patented this technology, but I don't think they will actually use it. I think that the filing of this patent and the resulting media coverage and public outcry has allowed Sony to see just how unwelcome this technology really is. I think that by now they have realized that if they do actually include this in their next system, that chances are that system won't sell. To many gamers want to be able to replace their games after the publisher stops producing them. Too many gamers want to be able to recoup their money on crappy games by selling them to resellers like GameStop.

As for digital only content, I'm strictly opposed to a digital only market. I feel that ALL games should be available in both digital and hard copy. Like many others I don't like the idea of "buying" something to only have it revoked later. That's not "buying" anything. If I buy something, I should have every right to use it as I see fit, and that right should have been protected by the Constitution. Companies have taken the concepts of Patents and Copyrights too far beyond what I think they were initially intended to be.

Telling me that I'm not allowed to make a copy of a video game that I bought is BS. Telling me that I'm not allowed to distribute that copy, is cool. Telling me that I'm not allowed to reverse engineer a video game is BS. Telling me that I'm not allowed to use that technology in my own products without paying a fee is cool. Do you see where I'm going here? Patents and Copyrights should only interfere with my rights when my actions involve other people.

Then again, I am a Libertarian at the purest and I feel that a lot of laws violate my basic rights.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +